The Congressional Research Service (CRS) seeks a senior manager to lead its American Law Division (ALD), one of CRS’ five research divisions. CRS provides objective, nonpartisan, and authoritative legislative research, analysis, and consultative support exclusively to the U.S. Congress.Learn more about this agency
This position serves as head of the American Law Division, a major CRS research division. In this capacity, and reporting directly to the Director of CRS, the Assistant Director leads, plans, directs, and evaluates the work of a team of attorneys in its production of written products and consulting services in support of the U.S. Congress. Working directly with congressional committees and Members of the House and Senate, ALD attorneys contribute to an informed national legislature as it considers legal and policy issues of importance to the American people. Areas of research, analysis, and consultative support include all facets of law in the United States, including administrative, business, civil rights, constitutional, energy, environmental, health, immigration, intellectual property, international, labor, military, national security, procurement, tax and trade law. The Assistant Director ensures that both written and consulting work is of the highest quality and consistently meets the Service’s standards of objectivity, nonpartisanship, balance, timeliness, legislative relevance, authoritativeness, and accessibility.
The Assistant Director leads implementation of the Service’s agenda for legal issues within the division’s areas of responsibility, including approaches, frameworks, and methodologies for addressing policy and legislative issues. This includes demonstrating personal intellectual leadership in monitoring congressional needs in the policy areas for which the Assistant Director has direct management responsibility and assuring access to the intellectual capacity needed to meet the current and changing needs of the United States Congress at a sustained level of excellence. This also includes exercising overall responsibility and delegated authority for the oversight and management of the division’s human, financial, material, and information research assets, including a staff of approximately 70 employees. In performing these activities, the Assistant Director is responsible for ensuring that the research, analytical, and consulting activities of the division are fully aligned with the legislative needs of Congress and with the priorities, goals, and policies of CRS for meeting those needs.
The Assistant Director also serves as one of the chief advisors to the Director, counseling the Director on all aspects of the research management and operations of CRS and recommending specific policies and procedures for improving the Service’s overall quality, efficiency, and effectiveness. The Assistant Director serves as a member of the Director’s senior management team and serves as a principal CRS representative to Members, committees, and officers of the United States Congress.
Major duties of this position include:
- In collaboration with other senior managers, leads, plans, directs, and evaluates the legal research, analyses, and consulting services of the Service in policy areas for which the incumbent has direct research management responsibility and ensures that such activities are fully aligned with the legislative needs of the United States Congress and with the priorities, goals, and policies of CRS for meeting those needs.
- Demonstrates personal intellectual leadership in monitoring congressional needs in the policy areas for which the incumbent has direct research management responsibility, in formulating and maintaining an agenda to meet those needs, in guiding and directing relevant research of individuals and groups, and in reviewing and evaluating the work of researchers and their managers.
- Ensures all research, analysis, and consulting services provided by the division are of the highest quality and meets CRS’s standards of objectivity, nonpartisanship, balance, timeliness, legislative relevance, authoritativeness, and accessibility.
- Counsels the Director and Deputy Director on all aspects of the management and operations of the Congressional Research Service and advises on matters relating to the research activities, operations, and mission of the Service.
- Serves as a principal representative to committees and officers of the United States Congress, other legislative agencies and the Library of Congress, executive departments and agencies, professional organizations, universities, and other research organizations on the broadest matters related to CRS research, policy, and organization.
- Oversees and ensures compliance with human resource management functions and requirements for division staff. Establishes and clearly communicates performance expectations for staff members.
The Assistant Director leads staff toward meeting the Library’s vision, mission, and goals by acting decisively, leveraging diversity and inclusiveness, demonstrating flexibility and resilience, fostering continuous improvement and innovation, fostering integrity and honesty, communicating effectively, and managing conflict and crisis. Exhibits commitment to the Library’s Supervisory Core Competencies.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/556274200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.