VAPAHCS hosts three hospitality programs, providing free on-site lodging for Veterans receiving care at the facility. Defender's Lodge is a 34,000 square foot facility with 52 suites and 104 beds. There are two Fisher Houses, each with 21 suites. These hospitality programs also provide support for the other six VA health care systems in VISN 21 who refer Veterans for care at VAPAHCS.Learn more about this agency
Work Schedule: SUN-TUES (W-TH OFF) FRI-SAT.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
The Senior Social Worker provides social work coverage to multiple programs at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. On the weekends, incumbent provides social work services to the VA Palo Alto Division, covering all inpatient medical units (acute medicine, acute surgery, Intermediate Intensive Care Unit and Intensive Care Unit) and the Emergency Department, and provides consultation on clinical issues for the Defender's Lodge and Fisher Houses. Incumbent is the sole social worker on the premises and works independently without the support of an on-site supervisor or interdisciplinary team members. The other three (3) weekdays, the incumbent provides social work services to patients followed by the specialty clinics of Dialysis and/or Oncology and provides support to social workers in acute care medical units, as needed. Incumbent also serves as coordinator for ensuring social work coverage for weekend and holiday shifts 365 days/year, including providing training to ensure competence for the broad scope of social work duties. Incumbent manages the daily operation of the program, directs patient care services in the program area, develops policies and procedures for program operation and prepares reports and statistics for facility, VISN, and national use. The incumbent manages and controls the use of data related to these programs regarding day-to-day functioning and program evaluation.
Duties include but are limited to the following:
- Medicine/Surgery: On weekends, incumbent evaluates and provides complex, multiple services to individuals and families with a variety of social, emotional and health related problems. Services are timely, comprehensive, and effectively coordinated with services provided by other health care professionals.
- Emergency Department (ED): On weekends, incumbent provides services to Veterans with highly complex health and/or mental health problems who may be in medical or mental health crisis. Incumbent provides social work triage assessment, crisis intervention, brief counseling, and rapid referrals to VA and community resources.
- Intermediate Intensive Care Unit and Intensive Care Unit (ICU): On weekends, incumbent provides social work triage assessment, crisis intervention, brief counseling, bereavement support, referrals to VA and community resources, and discharge planning.
- Dialysis: On weekdays, incumbent provides support to the primary dialysis social worker. Incumbent is responsible for assessment and treatment plans for Veterans who receive dialysis at the VA hospital. Incumbent is also responsible for assisting the inpatient medical team in setting up Renal services in the communities in which a Veteran resides.
- Oncology: On weekdays, incumbent provides support to the primary oncology social worker. Responsibilities may include arranging for the delivery of services for Oncology and Hematology Clinics and several additional specialty outpatient clinics (i.e., Allergy, Andrology, Diagnostic Radiology Center, ENT, General Surgery, GU Oncology, Hematology, Interventional Radiology, Nuclear Medicine, Oncology, and Urology).
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/556003500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.