These positions are located in the Office of Analytics, Review and Oversight, Office of Appellate Operations.The position description number for this position is 6D0460. A summary of the major duties are listed below. You may also view the full position description on the Agency intranet at the following link: PD SearchLearn more about this agency
- The incumbent, known as an Administrative Appeals Judge (AAJ), serves as a member of the Appeals Council,
- which constitutes the adjudicative head of the agency in accordance with a direct delegation of authority from the Commissioner of Social Security, consistent with the Administrative Procedure Act.
- As a member of the Appeals Council, the AAJ is a management official responsible for formulating, determining, or influencing the policies of the agency.
- The incumbent exercises independent judgment and discretion as an individual reviewing decisions of Administrative Law Judges (ALJs),
- and rendering the final administrative disposition of cases from a defined geographical area on behalf of the Commissioner.
- The incumbent may take a variety of actions on hearing decisions involving retirement, survivors, disability insurance, supplemental security income, and special
- veterans benefits filed under titles II, VIII, and XVI of the Social Security Act, as amended (the Act).
- The incumbent must be admitted to the Bar of a State, Territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia, and meet all other Office of Personnel Management requirements in this regard.
- The incumbent may hold hearings or supplemental hearings.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/552976200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.