This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), Center for Global Health (CGH), Atlanta, Georgia.Learn more about this agency
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As a Microbiologist you will:
- Perform Microbiological science work or support work in various scientific and public health areas associated with numerous biological agents.
- Carry out a variety of laboratory procedures and processes as it relates to microorganisms and their reactions to the environment.
- Perform various techniques to rapidly identify and characterize microbiological agents that cause a number of diseases.
- Determine study requirements, resources, equipment needs, etc.
- Identify methods and procedures to collect data, and conduct experiments and studies, make adjustments in methods and procedures as appropriate during the course of the studies or experiments.
- Acquire and organize materials and information to carry out study procedures for assigned projects.
- Calibrate and operates laboratory instruments that are necessary to independently perform tests, analyses and other procedures in conducting experiments and studies.
- Prepare and deliver written and oral reports to a variety of individuals and groups in both informal and formal settings.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- US Citizenship is required.
- Background Investigation is required.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
- One-year probationary period may be required.
- Travel, transportation, and moving expenses will be paid: No
- Bargaining Unit Position: No
- Drug Screening Required: No
- Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: No
- Annual Leave for non-federal service may be authorized: No
Research position: No
- Promotion potential: No
Must have a degree: microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent.
A Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included courses as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to meeting the basic qualification requirements, applicants must meet the specialized experience as stated below:
GS-11: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-09 level of difficulty and responsibility in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience in performing established techniques to identify and characterize microbiological agents that cause a number of diseases.
Completion of three years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a PhD degree or equivalent doctoral degree in microbiology, or specific area of study such as bacteriology, virology, mycology, algology, protozoology, parasitology, immunology, serology, microbial genetics, or soil microbiology; or specific applied fields of microbiology such as clinical and public health microbiology, food technology, production processes, industrial fermentation, pollution, etc. Graduate study in related fields such as experimental pathology, infectious diseases, epidemiology, biochemistry, animal or plant physiology, genetics, plant pathology, and insect disease control, may also be pertinent, provided it has direct application to microbiological work.
A combination of experience as described in A above and graduate education as described in B above. The total percentage must equal at least 100 percent to qualify.
GS-12: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-11 level of difficulty and responsibility in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience in performing and modifying established techniques and study methods to identify and characterize microbiological agents that cause a number of diseases.
- Although this announcement is advertised for multiple grade levels, it is not intended to convey any implication nor expectation that positions will be filled at all grade levels.
- This announcement is being used to create an inventory of applicants for Microbiologist positions and will be used to fill immediate and future needs.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply early in order to maximize their employment opportunities. Your application will remain in the inventory of tentatively qualified applicants. Applicants that are among the best qualified will be referred to the selecting official for consideration as requests to fill vacancies are processed by the Human Resources Office. The first cut-off date for you to be referred will be November 27, 2019. Thereafter, additional referral lists will be generated throughout the open period as vacancies occur. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted.
- This is an open continuous announcement. Qualified applicants will be considered as job opportunities occur and may or may not receive further notification regarding the status of their application.
CDC Financial Disclosure -OGE form 450 Holding ourselves to a higher standard; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention inspires public confidence in its trust responsibilities and mission by maintaining high ethical principles. This position is subject to the confidential financial disclosure requirements of the Ethics in Government Act of 1978 (P.L. 95-521). Therefore, if selected, you will be required to complete a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE Form 450) to determine if a conflict or an appearance of a conflict exists between your financial interest and your prospective position with the agency. This Information will be required annually.
Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the education requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: https://www.cdc.gov/jobs/future-applicant-information.html.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-OM-20-1064398 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures.
NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement (if applicable).
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location CDC-wide.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
For more information on veterans' preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please see http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
To view the questionnaire, click on the following link:
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document(s), view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates.
The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified. The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher).
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics).
- Data Analysis and Management
- Laboratory Practices
- Microbiological Science
- Networking and Partnership Development (1)
- Oral Communication
- Research (2)
- Results Driven
- Technical Training and Advising
- Translation of Science
- Written Communication
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your résumé showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed.
- Other supporting documents:
- Veterans Preference Documentation, if applicable
- Transcripts (required)*
- Schedule A Eligibility Letter, if you are applying as a Schedule A candidate
- Career Transition Assistance Program documentation, if applicable (e.g., Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal).
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents will result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on05/13/2020 of this announcement to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
If you cannot apply online:
You are encouraged to apply online. If you are unable to apply online, please use the Alternate Application link listed in the Additional Information section of this vacancy announcement. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online if at all possible. Applying online, through your USAJOBS account, will expedite the application process and allow you to check your application. If you utilize the Alternate Application method, your USAJOBS account will not display this application and you will not receive status updates.
Agency contact information
AddressCGH Division of Global HIV and TB
1600 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30333
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement.
You will receive notice via email once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/551603100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.