These positions are located at the Veterans Crisis Line in Topeka, Kansas and Canandaigua, New York. The Health Science Specialist (HSS) works within the National Veterans Crisis Line Program to assist in the delivery of evidenced based practice for veterans who need assistance.Learn more about this agency
Work Schedule: Varied to include evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. Selectees will be expected to work all shifts.
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
The Health Science Specialist works in a call center environment taking calls, texts and chats from Veterans, active duty Personnel as well as their friends and family, and assess a caller's risk of suicide and homicide.
- Makes outgoing calls to Veterans if a Veteran has sent an email or letter to the White House, or some other government agency
- Keeps caller, texter, or chatter engaged while multi-tasking to document work, look up resources, and instant message for assistance when needed
- Implements suicide/mental health crisis prevention strategies
- Provides support for the identification of veterans at high risk, and coordinates enhanced care
- Conducts interviews and utilizes assessments tools to assess emotional, functional, and/or psychological conditions
- Completes structured diagnostic and clinical assessments
- Prepares and maintains records and reports in accordance with program guidelines
- Provides psycho-education and directs advice regarding suicide/mental illness crisis
- Works collaboratively with other members of the VA Crisis Hotline Program to identify appropriate services for Veterans in crisis
- Assists Veterans and their family/friend/significant other with issues regarding the Veterans' mental health issues, referrals, benefits, support groups
- Performs other duties as assigned
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/548885200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.