NIH Recent Graduates perform duties in one of the Institutes or Centers in the National Institutes of Health (NIH). NIH Recent Graduates receive on-the-job training for one year and complete at least 40 hours of formal interactive training while in the program. Assignments are aimed at developing the employee's skills and knowledge to progressively perform more difficult duties.Learn more about this agency
For information about the National Library of Medicine (NLM), visit: National Library of Medicine Overview.
- Assists in the development, testing, and implementation of new systems or enhancements to existing automated systems that support technical services activities to acquire and process materials for the collection.
- Assists in the preparation of systems documentation including technical specifications and in-house and network manuals for new systems and procedures.
- Conducts training sessions to instruct staff on new or enhanced system features and capabilities.
- Understand and support the development of scientific and specialized (e.g. Toxicological, Chemical) vocabulary development and use of vocabularies in databases and systems.
- Establishes and maintains NLM licenses for literature and other electronic research resources that support the NLM collection including literature databases, PubMed/MEDLINE and PubMed Central.
- Evaluate the quality of scientific literature and data for NLM?s resources PubMed/MEDLINE and PubMed Central (PMC).
- Maintain a library system used to acquire, catalog, preserve, and make available resources in the NLM collection.
- Support the access of NLM collection materials through management and continuous improvement of access systems, including on-site and inter-library loan access.
- Engage researchers of various disciplines in the use and re-use of data and data collections and bring NLM collections to new audiences both remotely and onsite.
- Support web site development with web analytics, user experience testing, and data visualization.
- Quality control of data and systems; production support; customer service, documentation; and contract management.
- Supports data management programs and processes for data and data management systems.
- Support the use and re-use of data, metadata, and coding schemes into human and machine-readable formats.
- Support the design, implementation, enhancement, evaluation, and reporting of accomplishments toward NLM's engagement and training goals for both intramural and extramural programs.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/548516500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.