This position is located at an Animal Import Center (AIC) facility in Veterinary Services, APHIS. The incumbent performs a variety of technical work within the AIC. AIC's are USDA operated livestock quarantine facilities overseeing the importation of livestock, poultry, exotic birds, and zoo animals into the U.S. through the ports of Los Angeles, Miami, or New York. The Center is the principal facility in the U.S. for examining imported animals to assure they are free of disease and parasites.Learn more about this agency
- Serves as an animal caretaker responsible for nonprofessional technical and specialized work involving a variety of animal species and animal disease control, prevention, and quarantine procedures.
- Handles and cares for a large variety of animal species, as well as oversees specific shipments in the quarantine facility.
- Instructs animal caretakers on preparation, housing requirements, nutritional demands, special diets, and habitat.
- Monitors and adjusts the quarantine unit relative humidity; lighting; ambient temperature; heating, ventilation, and other environmental systems.
- Adheres to biosecurity measures such as changing outer garments between areas, maintaining/using correct disinfectant solutions in foot dip buckets, and applying pesticides and disinfectants to animals, equipment or reusable crates.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/546263900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.