As an Accountant, GS-0510-9, you will serve in a trainee capacity performing limited-scope, entry-level accounting work that requires you to be equipped with well-established and basic accounting principles, theories, concepts, and practices.Learn more about this agency
Upon successful completion of the Recent Graduate program, the employee MAY be eligible for a conversion to career-conditional or career appointment. If converted, the full performance level is up to the GS-12.
- Provide routine technical and operational guidance to clerical/technical staff in the processing of accounting documents and vendor invoices.
- Perform continuous work reviews and analysis of all types of financial data to ensure that it is current and accurate.
- Apply a number of standard accounting principles, methods, and practices in completing a variety of specific tasks.
- Assist senior accounting professionals in completing limited segments of more complex projects.
- Follow instructions to accomplish tasks and discuss potential problems.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National to apply for this position.
- You must possess a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- You must meet all program, qualification and education requirements.
- You will be subject to a background and suitability investigation.
- You must sign a Pathways Participant Agreement before starting employment.
QualificationsPROGRAM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
GPA Requirement: You must possess a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on the unweighted 4.0 scale upon completion of your academic degree or certificate program. (GPA 2.95 is rounded to 3.0 and 2.94 is rounded to 2.9.)
To be eligible as a Recent Graduate:
- Individuals who within the previous 2 years, completed a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution. Therefore, you must have completed your educational program no earlier than 10/16/2017. Veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation, begin their 2-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for veterans cannot exceed 6 years from the date on which they completed their degrees (or certification). Therefore, veterans must have completed your educational program no earlier than 10/16/2013.
- To verify your eligibility as a Recent Graduate, you must submit the following at the time of application: A copy of your unofficial transcripts from the educational institution you attended attesting to your possession of the required education. Your unofficial transcripts must reflect: (1) your name; (2) overall grade point average (GPA); (3) Degree Type (e.g., Bachelor's, Master's, etc.) and Degree Major; AND (4) the date your Degree was conferred. Failure to submit proof of degree/certificate completion at time of application will result in the withdrawal of your application from consideration for this position.
To be eligible as a Degree Candidate for Fall 2019:
- Individuals who are degree candidates for this current semester/term, i.e. Fall 2019, scheduled to complete a qualifying Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate, professional, vocational or technical degree or certificate program AND degree/certificate has not been conferred at time of application.
- To verify your eligibility as a Degree Candidate for Fall 2019: you must submit the following at the time of application: A copy of your unofficial transcripts from the educational institution you attended attesting to your education completed to date. Your unofficial transcripts must reflect: (1) your name; (2) overall grade point average (GPA); AND (3) Degree Type (e.g., Bachelor's, Master's, etc.) and Degree Major. If referred and selected, you must submit an additional unofficial transcript that confirms the date your degree was conferred before an Official Offer can be made. Degree must be conferred by January 18, 2020. Failure to submit proof of degree/certificate completion will result in the withdrawal of your application from consideration for this position.
In order to qualify for the GS-09, you must meet one of the following:
Specialized Experience: You must demonstrate in your resume at least one year (52 weeks) of qualifying specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal government, obtained in either the private or public sector, to include: 1) Inputting financial data into an automated financial system; 2) Preparing accounting reports; and 3) Performing routine or limited reviews of financial information.
- OR -
Substitution of Education for Experience: You may substitute education for specialized experience at the GS-09 grade level by possessing a Master's Degree or equivalent graduate degree or at least 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B. or J.D.
- OR -
Combination of Experience and Education: Only graduate education in excess of the amount required for the GS-07 grade level may be used to qualify applicants for positions at the GS-09 grade level. Therefore, only education in excess of one full year of graduate level education may be used to combine education and experience.
TRANSCRIPTS are required at the time of application to verify satisfactory completion of the educational requirement related to substitution of education for experience and combination of experience and education. Please see "Required Documents" section below on what documentation is required.
Click the following link to view the occupational questionnaire: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10594798
EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: In addition to meeting the qualification requirements, all candidates must have one of the following educational requirements:
Degree in accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law.
- OR -
Combination of education and experience: education and experience that includes at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge AND 24 semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law.
- OR -
Combination of education and experience: education and experience that includes at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge AND a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination.
Combination of education and experience: education and experience that includes at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge AND completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g. 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24 semester hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or related field, e.g.; valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two high level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4 year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
Note: For those applying as Degree Candidates for Fall 2019, you will be required to submit an additional transcript that confirms the above major or course requirements and the date your degree was conferred. Degree requirements must be completed during the Fall 2019 semester and the degree must be conferred by January 18, 2020. Failure to submit proof of degree/certificate completion will result in the withdrawal of your application from consideration for this position.
Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
Tour of Duty: Flexible
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure: Not Required
For more information about pay based on locality, please visit the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Salaries & Wages Page.
Additional Forms REQUIRED Prior to Appointment:
- Optional Form 306, Declaration of Federal Employment and the Background/Suitability Investigation - A background and suitability investigation will be required for all selectees. Appointment will be subject to the successful completion of the investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. If selected, the Optional Form 306 will be required prior to final job offer. Click here to obtain a copy of the Optional Form 306.
- Form I-9, Employment Verification and the Electronic Eligibility Verification Program - CMS participates in the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers. If selected, the Form I-9 will be required at the time of in-processing. Click here for more information about E-Verify and to obtain a copy of the Form I-9.
- Standard Form 61, Appointment Affidavits - If selected, the Standard Form 61 will be required at the time of in-processing. Click here to obtain a copy of the Standard Form 61.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
If you meet the minimum qualifications and education requirements for this position, your application and responses to the online occupational questionnaire will be evaluated under Category Rating and Selection procedures for placement in one of the following categories:
- Well Qualified - for those who excel in the evaluation criteria
- Qualified - for those who only meet the minimum qualification requirements
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Economics and Accounting
- Oral Communication
- Written Communication
Once the announcement has closed, your online application, resume, transcripts and CMS required documents will be used to determine if you meet eligibility and qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
CMS Pathways - Recent Graduate candidates will meet the qualification requirement consistent with the OPM qualification standards applicable to the position being filled. Veterans' preference applies to selections made under the Pathways authority in accordance with Part 302 of 5 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Candidates who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements need not be further evaluated.
The following documents are REQUIRED:
1. Resume showing relevant experience; cover letter optional. Your resume must indicate your citizenship and if you are registered for Selective Service if you are a male born after 12/31/59. Your resume must also list your work experience and education (if applicable) including the start and end dates (mm/dd/yy) of each employment along with the number of hours worked per week. For work in the Federal service, you must include the series and grade level for the position(s). Your resume will be used to validate your responses to the assessment tool(s). For resume and application tips visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/faq/application/documents/resume/what-to-include/.
2. CMS Required Documents (e.g., SF-50, DD-214, SF-15, etc.). Required documents may be necessary to be considered for this vacancy announcement. Click here for a detailed description of the required documents. Failure to provide the required documentation WILL result in an ineligible rating OR non-consideration.
3. College Transcripts. Since this position requires specific education, you must submit a transcript attesting to your possession of the required education. You must submit an unofficial transcript at time of application. An official transcript is required if you are selected for the position. If selected, you must provide an original document before the final job offer may be extended.
College Transcripts and Foreign Education: Applicants who have completed part or all of their education outside of the U.S. must have their foreign education evaluated by an accredited organization to ensure that the foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the U.S. For a listing of services that can perform this evaluation, visit the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services website. This list, which may not be all inclusive, is for informational purposes only and does not imply any endorsement of any specific agency.
PLEASE NOTE:A complete application package includes the online application, resume, transcripts and CMS required documents. Please carefully review the full job announcement to include the "Required Documents" and "How to Apply" sections. Failure to submit the online application, resume, transcripts and CMS required documents, will result in you not being considered for employment.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Your complete application package, as described in the "Required Documents" section, must be received by 11:59 PM ET on 10/16/2019 to receive consideration.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR WORK EXPERIENCE AND/OR EDUCATION, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE OR EDUCATION.
We strongly encourage applicants to utilize the USAJOBS resume builder in the creation of resumes. Please ensure EACH work history includes ALL of the following information:
- Official Position Title (include series and grade if Federal job)
- Duties (be specific in describing your duties)
- Employer's name and address
- Supervisor name and phone number
- Start and end dates including month, day and year (e.g. June 18, 2007 to April 05, 2008)
- Full-time or part-time status (include hours worked per week)
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please send an email to RecentGrads@cms.hhs.gov. The decision to grant reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Agency contact information
CMS Recent Graduates
AddressOffice of Financial Management
7500 Security Blvd
Woodlawn, MD 21244
Once your online application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated to determine your eligibility and qualifications for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another email notification regarding the status of your application.
Within 30 business days of the closing date, 10/16/2019, you may check your status online by logging into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login). We will update your status after each key stage in the application process has been completed.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/545650900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.