This scientist serves the Aldo Leopold Wilderness Research Institute (ALWRI) which is housed under the Rocky Mountain Research Station in Missoula, Montana. ALWRI is dedicated to the development and dissemination of knowledge needed to improve management of wilderness, wildlands, wild and scenic rivers and similarly protected areas.Learn more about this agency
For additional information about the duties of this position, please contact Dr. Beth Hahn at 406-542-3244 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Develop and apply knowledge about factors that influence the nature and magnitude of biophysical and social impacts of human activities in wilderness or other wildlands.
- Author science publications in the field of wilderness management or the role of wilderness or other protected areas in social and ecological systems.
- Conceive and formulate research supporting or leading to studies by others.
- Disseminate research results through multiple avenues including lectures, peer-reviewed scientific journals, technical reports and research papers, conference presentations, and popular literature.
- Integrate spatial and temporal variation (local to national to international; across time through multiple studies) in human uses of wilderness and other wildlands and benefits of wilderness protection.
- Use statistics, qualitative analysis, simulation modelling, geospatial analyses, spatial data (including social media), and/or field data to characterize and predict current and future wilderness use, recreation, and impacts.
- Archive science products (data, study plans, coding manuals, reports and papers).
- Lead science teams to discover and synthesize knowledge to support natural resource planning and management applications that contribute to the preservation of wild, natural and unconfined conditions and quality human experiences in wilderness.
- Transfer research findings through workshops and/or field visits to help wilderness leaders and recreation managers manage visitor capacity and use.
25% or less - Travel required to visit other research sites or field locations and attend professional scientific meetings or conferences
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/545461100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.