This position is located in the Military Personnel and Construction Directorate, Deputy Comptroller (Program/Budget), Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller) (USD(C)). The USD(C) is responsible for carrying out the functions assigned by Section 135 of Title 10, United States Code, and ensuring the utmost economy and efficiency in the operations of DoD through solid management practices, sound policies informed by fiscal realities, and effective fiscal planning and control.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent serves as the Associate Director for Military Personnel and Health Care with responsibility for all budgetary aspects of approximately $177 billion in Military Personnel and Defense Health Program (DHP) appropriations activities (FYI 9 enacted). The incumbent oversees the Department's compensation and healthcare reform initiatives. The incumbent is responsible for reviewing and analyzing extremely complex and variable military programs and applying comprehensive knowledge of budget policy and procedures so that the individual programs may be evaluated in relation to the overall Defense funding constraints for the optimal use of Defense resources. The incumbent must evaluate funding requirements of Military Personnel funded programs based on strategic military plans, and apply judgment as to the level of production lead times, attrition rates, availability of associated equipment or personnel, production capabilities, degree of modernization or modification, current and future pricing, and reasonable provision for contingencies. The incumbent evaluates relationships to other Defense expenditures, previous obligations, expenditure rates, and other financial conditions. Major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Participates with the senior staff in the technical and financial evaluation of operating programs including budget formulation, budget execution, and reprogramming of appropriated funds.
- Develops and applies analytical tools (including statistical analyses. etc.) in an attempt to master a large volume of facts relating to each program and to interpret trends and conditions in the operating programs.
- Analyzes and evaluates budget estimates (including overseas contingency operations requests, supplementals, and budget amendments) and budget execution programs, including the conduct of such investigations and component briefings as may be necessary to determine the relevance, importance, and necessity of various program funding proposals.
- Maintains a continuing review of the fiscal programs to ensure that programs are being executed in accordance with the direction of the Secretary of Defense and the intent of the Congress.
- Reviews and analyzes requests for the reprogramming of funds, which require the approval of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller) and transmittal to the Congress.
- Develops funding options, strategies, and recommendations and refers to the Director for Military Personnel and Construction for financial policy decisions relating to the operating programs of the Department of Defense.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/542347500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.