This position is in the Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center (GRECC) at the VA Medical Center in North Little Rock, AR. The Health Science Specialist's role is to work closely with and provide a high level of support for Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center (GRECC) clinicians and investigators in the conduct of human subjects' research and/or the development, implementation, and evaluation of innovative clinical models of care for older veterans.Learn more about this agency
NOTE: This is a TERM appointment (366 days). Term appointments are non-status, nonpermanent appointments of limited duration (more than 1 year but not more than 4). Term employees are eligible to earn leave and generally have the same benefits as permanent employees including health and life insurance, within-grade increases and Federal Employees Retirement System and Thrift Savings Plan coverage. Term appointments may be extended without further competition (up to the 4 year maximum). The appointment to a Term position does not confer eligibility for promotion or reassignment to other positions or the ability to be non-competitively converted to permanent employment.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Prepares and submits regulatory documents for geriatric human subject research projects.
- Conducts ongoing intra- and inter-rater reliability testing of all project instruments to maintain a high level of data integrity for pre-protocol assessments.
- Develops and maintains a Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) manual and adheres to this manual when administering and implementing the project protocol.
- Utilizes and maintains an electronic record management system for each project to record all applicable recruitment, procedure, and interview data.
- Provides ongoing monitoring of research projects and adheres to all applicable deadlines for submissions including adverse event reporting, annual reports and other reports required to maintain compliance.
- Completes all aspects of the screening and recruitment process as stipulated in the project protocol and ensures that all patients/subjects included in the project meet all inclusion and no exclusion criteria.
- Obtains appropriate documentation of informed consent before engaging in research-related activities with patients or family members; assures that informed consent and HIPAA forms have been properly signed and witnessed; assures that participants confidentiality and rights as a human research subject are protected.
- Compiles and produces education and training materials; determines the contents needed for training binders for each project.
- Monitors and evaluates quality of all data and uses proper approach for correcting all errors identified.
- Performs other duties assigned as it relates to the position.
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/541547100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.