What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
Salary: $96,656 (Step 01) to $125,651 (Step 10); NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
There is one vacancy; however, this announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies if they become available.
Employee may be required to report to work "on-call" which could include unscheduled weekends, holidays, or to help respond to 24/7 emergency situations.Learn more about this agency
As a Computer Scientist within the Earthquake Science Center, some of your specific duties will include:
The incumbent will support the earthquake mitigation mission of the USGS by operating and maintaining the ShakeAlert system; a 24/7 Earthquake Early Warning (EEW) system that distributes rapid warnings of expected strong shaking when an earthquake occurs. This is part of a multiorganizational cooperative project to build and operate a public EEW system for the West Coast of the United States.
- Installs, operates, configures, debugs, documents, and maintains ShakeAlert software and operational environment.
- Participates in leading and contributing to implementations and management of virtualized and cloud-based computing environments from inception to completion and serve as the subject matter expert for emerging cloud services and architectures.
- Plans, coordinates, tests, operates, troubleshoots and maintains server virtualization environments, virtualized storage networks, and cloud-based Paas/laaS environments.
- Operates, troubleshoots, and maintains computer systems for the development, testing, integration, production, and distribution of rapid automatic earthquake products in an on-call, 24/7 operational environment.
- Develops, implements, operates, configures, debugs, documents, and maintains AQMS and Earthworm software and related seismological applications that generate, distribute, and archive earthquake information products.
- Develops new and modifies existing software and scripts to implement various modules for the production version of AQMS and Earthworm, including earthquake detection algorithms and performance monitors.
Occasional travel - Overnight travel of 1-5 nights per month may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/541325400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.