Interdisciplinary Treatment Team in the ED, the individual conducts work independently using his/her educational training and clinical experience, adhering to VA policies and Joint Commission standards in administering direct services. He/she will provide a full range of social work services within acceptable standards of social work practice, which includes crisis intervention, case management, individual, family and group counseling, discharge planning, and other services as appropriate.Learn more about this agency
- Will conduct mental health evaluations and psychosocial assessments to determine needs of Veterans and family members. The incumbent functions as the ED provider for patients who present to the ED with behavioral health concerns, providing crisis intervention, provisional diagnosis, treatment and disposition recommendations. Work may involve consultation with the on-call psychiatrist.
- On inpatient psychiatry, conducts interviews and completes psychosocial assessments, MHICM screens, and Advance Directive screening/completion as indicated, on any new admissions within 48 hours.
- Suicide Risk Evaluation-Comprehensive will be completed in the ED, or if not done in ED, within 24 hours of admission to inpatient psychiatry unit.
- Completes Suicide Behavior Overdose Report on any patient who is reports a suicide attempt or other self-directed violent behavior within 24 hours of admission, if one is not already completed.
- Identifies patients at high risk for lethality and refer for suicide prevention case management services.
- Obtain releases for family, community resources and other government agencies.
- Contact family/friends for collateral information, and to engage in discharge planning, and continuing care, with permission of patient.
- Discharge planning:
- Coordinate return to previous location as appropriate.
- Generate referrals for needed programs and services, including but not limited to: housing or shelters, supported living or institutional care, substance abuse services, homecare services, other support and case management services. Health Buddy, MHICM, and Psychosocial Rehab and Recovery Program, and facilitates consults and appointments for aftercare.
- Assure patient has MH follow up in accordance with National Performance Measure.
- Arrange appropriate level of transportation, assuring pt. safety.
- Provides individual, family and group counseling as appropriate.
- Makes referrals to a variety of appropriate programs such as Health Buddy, MHICM, Home Health Services, and Psychosocial Rehab and Recovery Program, and facilitates consults and appointments for aftercare.
- Provides consultation/education to Veterans and families on community resources, and VA benefits.
- Provides case management to Veterans and families, as needed, throughout the continuum of care.
- Addresses Advance Directives and Organ Donation in accordance with the standards of their work area.
- As appropriate, supervises the practice of social work interns, or a less experienced social worker.
- Participates in committee assignments, as deemed necessary by their supervisor.
- Maintains data and statistical compilations to comply with Joint Commission, VA and medical center policy and procedures.
- Assists patients and their significant others with coping and dealing with loss and grief experiences in disability, terminal illness and death.
- Participates in a rotation of on-call social workers, including modification of tour of duty to accommodate patient care needs on weekends.
- Assures timely and accurate documentation, using appropriate notes and templates as defined within the facility ED, Suicide Prevention Program and behavioral health.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned by the supervisor as needed for the benefit of the Veteran, family, and quality of services provided. Provides cross coverage for suicide prevention case managers and inpatient psychiatry social workers.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
****LCSW is preferred*****
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/540276900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.