This position is being announced under FEMA's Cadre of On-call Response/Recovery Employee (CORE) Program. This is a temporary appointment in the Excepted Service, not to exceed 2 years, with the option to extend based on workload and funding availability. Veterans Preference does not apply to the CORE selection process.Learn more about this agency
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
This position is located in the Office of Response and Recovery, Field Operations Directorate, Workforce Management Division, Deployment Section. In this position, you will be supporting disasters as a deployment specialist; providing deployment operational support to Regions and Events from field operations centers (RRCC, PMC, IOF, JFO, etc) and from the deployment center located at Mount Weather, VA. Typical assignments include:
- Educating FEMA Regional, cadre, and event personnel in deployment activities such as proper utilization of the DTS responder and deployer portals.
- Utilizing advanced data analysis techniques to produce complex reports and information that enable FOD, cadres and field leaders to more effectively manage the incident workforce.
- Providing disaster technical support to various FEMA stakeholders such as field leadership, SPOCs HR Staff and others, provide guidance to specialists, and support to team leads. Serve as a specialist by performing disaster deployment readiness related duties; as well as, provide technical support and analysis for readiness initiatives, policies, and procedures related to deployment operations, such as conducting data quality activities, reviewing monitoring boards, and advising SPOCs of needed data corrections.
- Providing technical advice and guidance to professional staff in FEMA. Projects may include drafting and commenting on pending or proposed deployment guidance documents and analyzing policies and procedures applicable to deployment activities or processes.
- Articulating deployment policies and explain technical aspects of the deployment program and processes to various stakeholders such as field leadership, SPOCs, HR staff, FEMA responders.
Promotion Potential: Positions filled under Stafford Act regulations generally do not have documented promotion potential; however, dependent on an employee’s ability to perform higher level duties, the continuing need for an employee to perform work associated with a higher level position, and administrative recommendation and approval, promotions may be earned by CORE employees.
76% or greater - Occasional non-emergency travel may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/539035700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.