Position SummaryLearn more about this agency
This position is located in the Office of Railroad Safety within the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). The Deputy Associate Administrator for Railroad Safety will contribute to the planning, development and administration of an effective and comprehensive program to achieve safe, responsible, and effective programmatic safety practices and procedures within the railroad industry and its ancillary components.
The Deputy Associate Administrator for Railroad Safety supports the Associate Administrator for Railroad Safety and Chief Safety Officer in advancing the mission of FRA with regard to railroad safety. As a senior member of the FRA leadership team, the Deputy Associate Administrator is a primary source of executive advice and leadership for Office of Railroad Safety operations, safety standards, as well as policy development. The Deputy Associate Administrator is responsible for planning and ensuring the execution of FRA safety policies, programs, and activities and advancing overall organizational excellence within the Office of Railroad Safety.
As the Deputy Associate Administrator for Railroad Safety, the candidate:
• Provides executive leadership over the development, resourcing and implementation of programs and projects across the Office of Railroad Safety. Ensures programs are fully coordinated within the Office and across the other major directorates within the Federal Railroad Administration, other DOT modes, and major stakeholders.
• Manages the administration and operation of the full range of day-to-day activities of Office of Railroad Safety programs and managers. Ensures accountability for management actions, fiscal stewardship and transparency in the Office’s headquarters and field operations.
• Provides executive oversight for the administration and performance of Office of Railroad Safety’s personnel with regard to safety compliance operations throughout the United States. Ensures programs are developed and implemented to improve safety within the railroad industry.
• Oversees the development and successful completion of programs and projects to increase the effectiveness and scope of the rail safety programs, including providing technical guidance on discipline-specific technical issues related to audits, inspection, outreach, and accident activities. Ensures that programs and projects address both the prevention and the detection of unsafe rail transportation conditions.
• Leads the development of standards, regulations, and legislation to improve the safety of rail freight and passenger transportation. Ensures appropriate involvement of Office of Chief Counsel, other FRA organizations, Department, and Office of Management and Budget representatives on safety regulatory and legislative matters.
Occasional travel - Requires occasional travel (less than 10%).
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/538901700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.