Incumbent serves as Research Leader for the Animal Genomics and Improvement Laboratory (AGIL) of the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center (BARC) in Beltsville, MD. The mission of AGIL is to discover and develop improved methods for the genetic and genomic evaluation of economically important traits of dairy animals and small ruminants, and conduct fundamental genomics-based research to improve their health and productive efficiency.Learn more about this agency
- Conduct research to ensure complementarity of project goals, and integration of plethora of "omic" and physiological information to define, through systems biology or functional studies, the genetic potential of ruminants, particularly dairy animals.
- Maintain strong, productive personal research program as well as oversee and provide guidance to scientists in the Unit for their research program.
- Manage human (administrative and scientific) capital, fiscal and physical resources of the Management Unit.
- Ensures proper interpretation and reporting of scientific research data.
- Use research approaches spanning a wide array of quantitative genetic, computation/bioinformatics and/or molecular biology techniques to include: development of high-performance algorithms for quality control, imputation, and genomic evaluation.
- Provides technical information and consultation internal and external to ARS concerning the research of the AGIL.
Occasional travel - You will be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/538553900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.