This position is located in the Schuyler Otis Bland Memorial Library, United States Merchant Marine Academy, Maritime Administration (MARAD).Learn more about this agency
This position is established to provide curricular support, general and specialized reference service, circulation, and other professional duties and responsibilities. The Library is an academic library with a wide variety of materials in a broad complex of subjects and specialized collections in technical areas.
As a Librarian, you will:
- Provide assistance to both professional and technical personnel and provide assistance in their fulfillment of reference requests in a variety of subject areas ranging from military/naval history to the fine arts.
- Oversee the circulation desk in the absence of the Reader Services Librarian ensuring smooth operation of all functions, including the use of the automated library system to charge/discharge materials and reserve items.
- Conduct orientation detailing services and resources available within the library and the community. Design and deliver information literacy instruction to individuals and groups.
- Identify electronic resources, including but not limited to databases, electronic journals, and e-books for consideration, establish product trials for evaluation, apply license and contract terms related to electronic resources, and collaborate with technical Services in the negotiation of resources.
- Maintain awareness of emerging issues, trends, standards, and technologies in the management of librarianship, licensed electronic resources, the Library’s management and discovery systems. Understand how these can impact resources and services.
This position is perfect for a mid-career professional with a customer service oriented approach, who is looking for an opportunity to assist college age students in an academic library.
The working schedule for the position will be:
- While classes are in session: Sundays 1400-2300, Mondays 1530-2300, and 3 more days 0800-1630.
- While classes are not in session: Monday - Friday 0800-1630
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/533022200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.