***FIRST CONSIDERATION WILL BE GIVEN TO CURRENT SLC VAHCS EMPLOYEES***Learn more about this agency
The position serves as a Medical Technician located in Laboratory Service at the VAMC Salt Lake City, UT.
- Draw blood specimens from patients for testing, verify patient identification, and clarify any identification discrepancies.
- Select and prepare a venipuncture site for drawing the specimen considering patient comfort, amount of blood to be drawn, and the quality of the sample.
- Observe bio-safety precautions and isolation procedures with a minimum of discomfort to the patient. Label tubes with laboratory generated accession labels and other required information (i.e. time, date, initials, etc.).
- Perform the venipuncture with barrel needle collection devices or butterfly needle collection devices ensuring a quality specimen.
- Follow protocols for special handling and collection of blood samples. (i.e. blood cultures, specimens on ice, etc.).
- Inform responsible nursing personnel and complete the required documentation when a blood sample cannot be collected.
- Return specimens, inform appropriate person of any "STAT" or "Immediate" requests.
- Accept collected specimens in the computer, keep documentation updated and laboratory personnel informed of specimens not obtained.
- Stock drawing carts with adequate tubes and supplies for drawing patients, and clean the cart when needed.
- Follow Universal Precautions and proper infection control procedures.
Position Description Title/PD#: Medical Technician/08063A
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/532472500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.