What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
Salary: $94,425 (Step 01) to $122,750 (Step 10); NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
There are two vacancies, however, this announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies if they become available.
Open to current or former Federal employees: SAC-2019-0206.Learn more about this agency
As a Research Geologist within the Volcano Science Center, some of your specific duties will include:
- Serves as the principal investigator of volcanic eruption processes and history to interpret and forecast volcanic eruptions.
- Maps volcanic deposits, applies stratigraphic principles, conducts laboratory analysis, and utilizes methods of Quaternary dating to conduct research.
- Studies volcanic processes and their derivative products using physical modeling, experiments, and basic physics to address questions of how processes associated with volcanism (like magma genesis and ascent) control eruption style, surface-flow phenomena and/or tephra dispersal. Studies how these processes can be used to assess the timing and impact of volcanic hazards.
- Conducts interdisciplinary research that incorporates results from other fields to better understand complex processes related to volcanism, especially those associated with explosive volcanism.
- Disseminates results of research by publishing as a primary author in peer-reviewed scientific journals, presenting results at invited lectures, and leading sessions at professional meetings.
- Field work may consist of hiking long distances (>10 miles) in areas with minimal or no established trails, camping for multiple nights in remote locations, making traverses across difficult terrain, carrying heavy loads including rock samples for extended distances and working in environments with extreme and often rapidly changing weather conditions that can vary from arctic to tropical. Fieldwork may require working out of helicopters at unprepared mountain landing sites.
25% or less - Overnight travel averaging up to five nights per month is required.
15 - The full performance level for a Research position is GS-15; however, promotion eligibility is dependent upon the scientific contributions of the incumbent as evaluated by a peer panel.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/532396200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.