This position is located in Volunteer Recruitment and Selection, Office of Recruitment and Diversity (ORD). The Public Affairs Specialist (PAS) supports the office's strategy to recruit qualified candidates and raise overall awareness of Peace Corps by providing marketing, advertising, press, media, and outreach related support to ORD.Learn more about this agency
The Public Affairs Specialist performs the following major duties:
- Develops communication plans and recommends to the supervisor a written communications/marketing strategy and budget designed to generate specific recruitment leads, including leads to applicants with scarce skills, minorities, and older Americans, and to increase public awareness about the Peace Corps.
- Confers with recruiters to ascertain publicity requirements for ongoing support of planned campus and community campaigns; research media markets in which campaigns are scheduled; and recommends most productive media/marketing techniques to draw wide public response.
- As a part of the written media/marketing strategy, develops a plan for a follow-up evaluation of the effectiveness of the strategies used. Independently implements such plans at the local level. Informs other recruitment staff of the results of marketing activities.
- Assists the Office of Press Relations and the Office of the Director to coordinate media appearances of the Peace Corps Director and other senior staff; seeks media opportunities; builds a press schedule; prepares full briefing packages; personally briefs officials upon arrival and follows up on press contacts.
- Writes press releases, backgrounders, and fact sheets; authors stories and articles for website, news articles, and other outlets.
- Generates story ideas and news opportunities for potential promotion; contributes understanding to relevant local media markets.
- Serves as point of contact for incoming media and data requests in assigned territory.
Occasional travel - Position requires occasional travel.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/532116000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.