This position involves a multi-grade career ladder. The major duties listed represent the full performance level of GS-14. At GS-13 grade levels, you will perform assignments of a more limited scope and with less independence. It is anticipated that you will progressively acquire the background necessary to perform at the full performance level.Learn more about this agency
This position is located within the Office of Research Oversight (ORO) in the Veterans Health Administration (VHA). ORO reports directly to the Under Secretary of Health (USH) and is the primary office for advising the USH on matters related to the assurance and compliance with VA and other Federal requirements for the protection of human research subjects, laboratory animal welfare, research safety and security, research information security, research compliance officer education and oversight, and research misconduct. Duties will include but not limited to:
- Assisting in providing subject matter expertise in the areas of general research administration, human subjects protections, research and development committee oversight, review management and integrity (including research misconduct), informatics and analytics, research policy management, and/or research compliance officer education and oversight;
- Participating in and leading on-site and remote research compliance reviews focusing on research compliance officer education and oversight;
- Providing written reports of technical assistance visits;
- Performing work in establishing the policies and procedures by which research compliance programs will be evaluated;
- Maintaining detailed working knowledge of Federal and VHA requirements in one area and basic knowledge of requirements in the other areas;
- Conducting assessments of research oversight programs and identifying research noncompliance;
- Monitoring progress as correction plans are implemented, monitoring and evaluating content of facility research compliance programs;
- Collecting and analyzing data, presenting results through presentations and/or publications;
- Performing complex analytical studies and interpretation of results to coordinate the evaluation of research compliance programs and the compliance of individual research projects and to recommend improvements;
- Responsible for independently planning, designing, and carrying out programs, projects, studies, or other work;
- Evaluating new or modified legislation and policy to determine its impact on human research protections.
Compressed/Flexible Schedule: Available
Position Description Title/PD#: Health Science Specialist/ 02172A, 02171A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
PCS Expenses: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Required
25% or less - You will be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/531015400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.