Executive Director, Office of Communications is a principal advisor to the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Under Secretary for Health (USH) and acts on his/her behalf with equivalent authority for all issues related to VHA Communication programs and activities, consisting of 4 programs that influence the spending of approximately $8.5M annually.Learn more about this agency
The Executive Director, Office of Communications has overall responsibility for planning, managing, and evaluating a broad array of service that provide direct support to the Office of the Under Secretary for Health and direction and support to VHA.
- Directs the development of VHA strategic communications and marketing plan; disseminates key messages and official positions on public issues; promotes VHA mission, vision and activities.
- Provides counsel to the USH and senior leaders on strategic communications issues; coordinates communications between the USH, senior leaders, and key stakeholder groups.
- Leads/assists in VHA/VA culture change initiatives through relevant, ongoing internal/external communications initiatives/activities.
- Manages assigned staff, develops priorities, and assigns projects; assures that appropriate services are provided, and goals are defined and achieved; develops staff skills and conducts performance evaluations.
- Meets regularly with staff to discuss and resolve priorities, workload and technical issues; develops additional hiring/staffing recommendations; manages internal/external stakeholder relationships.
- Reviews and guides the work of VHA Communications staff to assure the work quality and timely accomplishment of assigned duties and responsibilities; manages budget and allocates resources to meet established VHA strategic goals.
- Provides direct oversight of VA's Voluntary Service Program and plays a key role in VHA's relationship with Veteran Service Organizations (VSO).
- Oversees current media inquiries, internal messages and long-term campaign planning, to include those that support USH priorities, while advising the field and internal program offices of plans and initiatives all while remaining consistent with VHA's Strategic plan.
- This position has a Deputy Director, and 4 Program Directors for various communications platforms with an overall staff of 37 full time employees. As VHA continues to provide patient centered care to Veterans, it is imperative that VHA proactively communicate messages that highlight quality care sustainment with a focus on Veteran satisfaction.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/529428600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.