About the Position:Learn more about this agency
The US Army Corps of Engineers, Detroit District, is actively seeking applications to fill multiple Lock and Dam Operator vacancies throughout the District. These positions will be filled the WY-05; WY-07; or WY-08 grade levels.
- Performs a variety of tasks in providing assistance to and/or personally performing work required for the installation, repair and maintenance of lock or lock and dam machinery and equipment of mechanical or electrical type; concrete work, etc.
- Operates electrically, electronic, or hydraulically controlled valves controlling flow of water for emptying and filling operation, and during double lockage?s, operates electrical tow haulage unit as applicable.
- Operates a variety of equipment such as pick-up truck, dump truck, forklift, front-end loader, bulldozer, tractor, bridge crane, motor boat and/or pontoon boat.
- Operates electrical or electronic gate control to open or close gates at one end of the lock chamber. As necessary during operation, removes debris or ice in path of gates or in lock wall recesses to avoid equipment or machinery damage.
- May perform various sub-journeyman work such as welding, plumbing, carpentry, painting, electrical, etc.
- Performs seasonal duties such as grass cutting, trimming, gardening, shoveling snow, clearing ice, as well as janitorial tasks such as cleaning control house and other site buildings, restroom facilities, standby equipment, etc.
- Operates a variety of power driven hand tools and uses a variety of hand/mechanical tools to accomplish the maintenance tasks.
- Understanding instructions or as directed, contacts boat pilots to obtain data such as number of passengers, tonnage and commodities being transported, point of origin and destination, etc.
- Operates electrical or electronic controls to raise or lower dam gates in accordance with specific instructions regarding time and degree of gate change.
- Secures lines and slings to materials or equipment being moved and provides hand signals to operator for moving items to and from barges or trucks, for placing bulkheads, etc.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position 10% of the time.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/528601200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.