Over the past 18 years, our Tree Crew has planted 40 acres of young trees at 44 sites. In total, more than 5000 trees have been planted. The rejuvenation is especially visible along West Pacific Boulevard near Julius Kahn Park; at the Arguello Gate, where cypress trees planted just a few years ago already rise 30 feet; along Kobbe Boulevard, where wind studies have informed how trees should be placed on the Presidios blustery western edge; and near the World War II Memorial.Learn more about this agency
The Presidio Trust is seeking a Tree Crew Supervisor. The Presidio of San Francisco was once an Army base; its now a new kind of national park. The Presidios richly forested and designed setting is one of the Armys most impressive accomplishments in landscape architecture. No other military installation in the nation has ever undertaken landscape planning on such a grand scale. A soldier standing on the Presidios windy ridgeline during the Civil War years would have written home about sandy dunes and the open prospect to the bay. Beginning in the 1880s, the Army planted a vast eucalyptus, pine, and cypress forest. Thousands of trees were planted along the Presidios ridges and entrance gates. Today, the 300-acres forest is the largest feature that contributes to the Presidios National Historic Landmark District. It also provides habitat for birds and other wildlife and respite from the city for human visitors.
Our ideal candidate is a strong and fair leader with the skills and passion to help us maintain and care for this treasured historic San Francisco forest. You motivate and inspire your team; and are reliable, responsible, and forward-thinking towards ensuring the Presidio continues to be a model of ecological restoration and sustainable stewardship.
- Supervise and direct a highly skilled tree crew engaged in the pruning, removal, planting, care and maintenance of trees throughout the Presidio (and outside contractors as needed).
- Develop work plans and associated documentation for routine maintenance of trees, reforestation projects, and projects utilizing outside contractors.
- Track and maintain records of daily work accomplishments, attendance, and labor; ensure employee compliance with Trust rules and procedures including safe work practices; evaluate and correct job performance; and participate in assessing and hiring new staff.
- Prepare yearly training schedule, coordinate, and conduct regular safety training sessions in compliance with ANSI and OSHA requirements.
- Provide for the routine maintenance and repair of vehicles, equipment and tools including scheduling with agency mechanics and private contractors.
- Ensure that the necessary tools and supplies are procured and available for use when needed, and monitor use of materials and supplies.
- Perform tree work tasks as necessary including climbing trees, working from aerial lifts, pruning, rigging, chipping, stump grinding, etc.
- Respond as appropriate to work requests, questions, comments and concerns from the public, residents, tenants and Presidio staff using the principals of good customer service. Report problems or issues to Forester.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work jointly and cooperatively in providing the highest quality of customer service.
Occasional travel - Little to No Travel Required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/527752700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.