This position, located within the Education Service at the Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center, Richmond, Virginia, develops, manages, and administers a comprehensive library program and oversees all aspects of daily operations of the libraries and resources (including Medical and Patient Education Libraries and library services/resources for Community Based Outpatient Clinics.Learn more about this agency
- Plans, develops, implements and revises the library program for the medical center;
- Acts as point of contact for researching health care literature for services /staff throughout medical center;
- Establishes, implements and reviews program guidelines, policies, and operating procedures;
- Contributes to the development, recommendations for and monitoring library budgets;
- Ensures compliance with copyright legislation/license agreements;
- Tracks statistics and completes local reports regarding utilization of library resources;
- Serves as professional resource in searching specialized biomedical, nursing and allied health and health management, databases, and the internet;
- Provides advanced reference and literature research service including retrieval of information from commercial and government databases;
- Provides guidance in the use of library and external information sources and/or borrowing materials;
- Applies terminology of health care disciplines (including all fields of medicine and surgery, dentistry, nursing, mental health, health administration, etc.) to accurately interpret questions and complete reliable and comprehensive searches;
- Studies and investigates new methods of storing, searching, retrieving, and exchanging medical, scientific and technical information;
- Assists medical, nursing and allied health clinicians with researching patient-specific knowledge-based information on a variety of unusual or specialized conditions, problems or questions;
- Develops effective/efficient instruction interventions (one on one, small group, webinars, etc.) with emphasis on developing user-centered strategies for educating clinical staff in the use of numerous health-related databases (i.e. MEDLINE, MEDLINK, FEDLINK, CINAHL) and other point of care information products;
- Designs and maintains library SharePoint site;
- Acquires, organizes, maintains, and lends a specialized collection of materials (books, technical reports, periodicals, and other technical materials);
- Analyzes trends/patterns in local research requests and staff usage to develop new methods, criteria, and service delivery;
- Ensures state-of-the-art policies/procedures pertaining to the cataloging and classification of highly technical medical material collections; and
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel between medical center and Community Based Outpatient Clinics.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/527205000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.