This position is located in the Office of the Secretary, within the Office of the Under Secretary for Transportation Policy. As Deputy Assistant Secretary for Transportation Policy, the incumbent provides executive advice and support for day-to-day operation of the organization. In addition, the incumbent coordinates recommendations affecting policy and program issues requiring decisions by the Under Secretary and the Secretary of Transportation.Learn more about this agency
The Deputy Assistant Secretary serves as principal advisor to the Under Secretary on policy and program activities for the Department. In addition, the incumbent will be the policy liaison with the Operating Administrations and with representatives of the White House, Congress, foreign governments and other Federal agencies. The incumbent also identifies problem areas in the domestic transportation field and participates in preparation of the Department’s legislative program.
- Responsible for formulating and coordinating recommendations affecting day-to-day policy issues and program decisions. Participates in long-range planning and conceptualization of programs and objectives. Initiates actions required to implement and manage approved program plans leading to the development of Departmental policy recommendations and positions.
- Contributes to the management and oversight of personnel, activities and operations of the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Transportation Policy.
- Participates in preparation of the Department’s legislative program and the systematic definition of its policy objectives, programs and plans. Provides the overall coordination and supervision to various offices performing the detailed work required to develop such policies, programs and plans.
- Identifies problem areas in the domestic transportation field and provides day-to-day direction and supervision of the staff work necessary to provide the solutions to such problems within the purview of the Department’s mission.
- Participates in the review of the effectiveness and progress of the Department’s policies, plans and programs, and develops such recommendations as may be necessary.
Occasional travel - Requires occasional travel.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/527150900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.