This is a Recent Graduate position in the Pathways Program.Learn more about this agency
The program duration is one year and upon successful completion of the program requirements, the incumbent may be converted to a term, career or career conditional position.
The Office of Inspector General is seeking a highly motivated person to serve as an Inspector in the Office of Audits and Inspections conducting reviews of management issues and administrative allegations. A management inspection typically focuses on the economy, efficiency, and effectiveness of a specified program activity and requires comprehensive data gathering and analysis. An allegation-based inspection is a highly focused, fact-finding review typically initiated in response to an allegation of waste, mismanagement, or abuse.
50% or less - This position requires 30% travel.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Meet Recent Graduate Eligibility Requirements (see Qualifications section)
- You must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Successful completion of a background and security investigation required.
- This is a drug testing designated position.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Applicants must have at least 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the position.
Appointment to this position may be subject to successful completion of a 1-year probationary period.
Upon reporting, and on an annual basis thereafter, you will be required to file a financial disclosure statement and/or a procurement integrity certification. These certifications may be subject to public disclosure.
This position requires a security clearance and is subject to drug testing. The selectee must test negative prior to being appointed to this position and will be subject to random testing thereafter. Failure to pass subsequent tests could result in disciplinary action, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
Recent Graduate Program Eligibility:
To meet these requirements, you must have obtained a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctoral, or technical/vocational degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within the previous two years.
Preference eligible veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their 2-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed 6 years from the date on which the degree (or certification) was completed.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS - A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is paid or unpaid experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position being filled.
In addition to the basic eligibility requirements, applicants must have the following specialized experience:
At the GS-7 applicants must have one (1) year of graduate-level education or superior academic achievement or one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-5 level. Specialized experience includes but is not limited to collecting and evaluating data, and conducting internet searches.
At the GS-9 applicants must have two (2) years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master’s degree or equivalent graduate degree or one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level. Specialized experience includes but is not limited to conducting reviews of management issues and administrative allegations and making recommendations for corrective action.
The successful applicant for this position will possess the following KSAs/competencies:
(Applicants need not prepare written responses to these KSAs, unless asked in the online application.)
- Knowledge to evaluate programs, policies, and operations.
- Skill in preparing reports.
- Skill in effective oral communication.
- Skill in data gathering.
- Ability to research, analyze, and evaluate programs and data.
- Ability to use computer programs.
For further information on qualification requirements for this position, please visit http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
Applicants must submit an unofficial and/or official transcript or a list of courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. Education completed in foreign colleges and universities may be used if the institution has been accredited by an organization recognized by the Department of Education.
FOR FOREIGN EDUCATION PLEASE VISIT:
Recent graduates may be non-competitively converted to a term or permanent position in the competitive service. To be eligible for conversion, the Recent Graduate must:
- be a U.S. citizen;
- have successfully completed all requirements of the Program;
- have demonstrated successful job performance consistent with the applicable performance appraisal program; and
- meet the OPM qualification standard for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The Department of Energy uses an application tracking system to evaluate the responses you provide in the applicant assessment questionnaire to place you into an initial quality category via OPM's Category Rating procedures. Then, the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME) will conduct a quality review of your application and supporting documentation to ensure you have been placed into the appropriate quality category.
Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (when applicable), and training as described in your resume and applicant assessment. Your credentials are measured against the established duties of the position at the grade level(s) being advertised.
The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified", and "Qualified", although they may differ slightly based on individual agency policy.
If you are a Veteran Preference eligible candidate, you will be listed at the top of whichever quality category your rating places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
In addition to your online resume and questionnaire, the following documents are required for this position:
- Transcripts indicating when your degree was received (or listing of course information with the grades earned, completion dates and quarters and semester hours earned)
- Veterans' preference documentation (if claiming veterans' preference)
If your application package does not contain all required documents, you may lose consideration for the position.
Veterans: Veteran eligibility documentation (DD-214 Member #4 Copy, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency to receive Veterans Preference under the VOW (Veterans Opportunity to Work) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-point veterans' preference, you must submit member 4 copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must submit an SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference plus the proof required by that form.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, you must submit a complete application no later than 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish.
Requests for extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference.
Steps to submit a complete application:
- You must have a USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a completed resume. (Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded resumes and require that you have a completed resume within your USAJOBS profile using the Resume Builder).
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials ready, click the 'Apply Now' button.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation, which may include (but is not limited to) SF 50, transcripts, portfolio samples, certifications, and verification of veteran status.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received.
If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly. NEED HELP?
- If you experience any difficulties with the application process (anything after you have clicked the Apply Now button), please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement between normal business hours.
- If you are having trouble with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account profile issues, or Resume Builder help, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or e-mail USAJOBS3.email@example.com.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement during normal business hours.
Agency contact information
AddressDepartment of Energy
Office of the Inspector General
1000 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, District of Columbia 20585
Once the announcement closes, we will evaluate your qualifications and determine your ranking. The best-qualified, or highest ranked, candidates will be referred to the selecting official for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified of your application status via e-mail. *You may also check the status of your application by accessing the USAJOBS online application system at http://www.usajobs.gov and enter your USAJOBS user ID and Password. Then click on "Track Your Online Job Application."*
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/524585600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.