The Africa Center for Strategic Studies is hiring an experienced faculty member to lead its work on African security studies by providing thought-leadership, organizing executive-styled academic programs for senior professionals, contributing to research and strategic thinking, and maintaining productive professional networks.Learn more about this agency
- The incumbent leads the Africa Center's work on African security studies by designing policy-relevant academic programs and engagement activities that provide context, promote understanding, establish professional networks and equip African security professionals to address insecurity effectively.
- The Assistant/Associate/Professor is responsible for: developing the Africa Center's regional security portfolio of work; developing curricula for academic programs; designing and executing executive-styled academic programs for senior security sector officials
- The incumbent conceptualizes, manages and coordinates the Africa Center's work relating to African security studies.
- The incumbent develops, implements and evaluates assigned academic programs, providing overall direction and management for assigned academic programs by researching scholarly and policy material, designing andragogy, preparing relevant academic material to support programming
- Serves as advisor to individual participants or groups of participants during and after academic programs. Assists them by explaining key concepts and exploring ways in which they could be applied to problem-solving, policy development and institution strengthening in the countries/organizations represented at the program.
- The incumbent conducts professional research on African security studies in support of curriculum preparation, and contributes original research to the Africa Center research and publications program.
- The incumbent maintains a professional network and represents the Africa Center at conferences, functions, and events. He/she maintains professional relationships in order to solicit input to reinforce the quality of Africa Center programs.
- The incumbent participates in a range of activities to include serving on administrative committees, leading ad hoc initiatives and mentoring junior staff.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel up to 25% for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/523213900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.