DOE is the Nation's top sponsor of research and development (R&D) and has won more Nobel Prizes and R&D awards than any private sector organization and twice as many as all other Federal agencies combined. The OIG offers potential for advancement, excellent benefits, and numerous training opportunities. We are located in 13 states throughout the U.S. Please visit our website at http://www.ig.energy.gov /.Learn more about this agency
As an Auditor for the DOE OIG, you will conduct performance and financial audits; perform systematic examinations and appraisals of financial related records, reports, management controls, and policies and practices which reflect the financial condition of DOE organizations and activities, contractors, and grantees, including state and local governments, laboratories, universities, and private industrial and business operations.
You will be responsible for preparing work papers/reports to document the audit process including audit objectives and related conclusion, deficiencies, and recommendations for corrective action. You will also assist higher level auditors in determining areas of high risk to focus on during the audit, and other related assigned duties.
50% or less - This position requires 30% travel.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizen.
- Successful completion of a background and security investigation required.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- This is a drug testing designated position.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement. Time-in-grade restrictions must also be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Applicants must have at least 52 weeks of service equivalent to the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the position.
Appointment to this position may be subject to successful completion of a 1-year probationary period.
Upon reporting, and on an annual basis thereafter, you may be required to file a financial statement and/or a procurement
integrity certification. These certifications may be subject to
This position requires a security clearance and is subject to drug testing. The selectee must test negative prior to being appointed to this position and will be subject to random testing thereafter. Failure to pass subsequent tests could result in disciplinary action, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCEREQUIREMENTS - A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service.
Applicants may qualify for this position based on a combination of education or specialized experience depending on the grade level you are applying for. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position being filled.
In addition to the basic eligibility requirements, applicants must have the following specialized experience and/or directly related education or a combination:
Specialized experience is paid or unpaid experience which has equipped you with the specific knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position in the practical application of professional accounting and auditing principles, procedure, and techniques.
At the GS-12 level the applicant must have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to a GS-11. Specialized experience includes experience in planning, conducting and reporting on segments of large audits and preparing written documentation outlining the scope and nature of the work performed.
At the GS-13 level the applicant must have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to a GS-12. Specialized experience includes experience independently conducting audits of complete entities, preparing audit reports and recommending corrective actions.
The successful applicant for this position will possess the following KSAs /competencies:
(Applicants need not prepare written responses to these KSAs, unless asked in the online application).
- Knowledge of accounting principles, auditing standards, and techniques.
- Ability to conduct multiple segments of complex audits.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and conduct comprehensive and complex audits.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to apply audit techniques in collecting and analyzing data.
- Ability to provide direction and guidance to auditors on the conduct of complex performance and/or financial and financial-related audits.
For further information on qualification requirements for this position, please visit http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
All applicants must meet one of the following basic eligibility requirements in order to qualify for this position:
- A degree in accounting or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting; OR
- 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge with a background that also includes one of the following: (1) Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality; or (2) A certificate as a Certified Public Account or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or (3) Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing.
FOR FOREIGN EDUCATION PLEASE VISIT:
Providing such evidence when applying is your responsibility.
If you are a veteran holding a 5- or 10-point preference status, or you have been discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions after 3 or more years of continuous active service, you may apply for this position under the Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA). If applying under this provision, a copy of your DD-214, SF-15 or proof of preference must be submitted by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide appropriate documentation may result in denial of requested veterans preference. Additional information on veterans preference is available at http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/veteranscenter/. If you are a displaced or soon-to-be displaced Federal employee, you may be entitled to receive special priority selection under CTAP/ICTAP for opportunities for which you are well-qualified at the same or lower grade level (not for promotion consideration). If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP eligibility, you must submit a copy of the agency RIF notice or certificate of expected separation, your most recent performance appraisal, and your most recent SF-50 showing position, grade level and duty location. CTAP/ICTAP eligibles will be considered well-qualified if they earn a minimum score of 85 (prior to the assignment of applicable veterans preference points). For more information on CTAP/ICTAP eligibility requirements, please visit http://www.opm.gov/ctap. The Department of Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Selection for this position will be based solely on merit, fitness, and qualifications without regard to race, sex, color, religion, age, marital status, national origin, non-disqualifying handicap conditions, sexual orientation, parental status, or any other non-merit factors.
This agency provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the agency.
The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis. To learn more about the Office of Inspector General, please visit http://www.ig.energy.gov/ or visit the Department's website at http://www.energy.gov/.
More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education, and training described in your online resume/questionnaire as related to the duties of this position. If your resume is incomplete, or does not support the responses in your online questionnaire you may be rated ineligible, not qualified, or your score may be adjusted.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit. Some documents may not apply to all applicants.
If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
- ALL APPLICANTS: Resume supporting your specialized experience and responses to the online questionnaire.
- Current/former Federal employees: Most recent SF-50(s), Notification of Personnel Action OR equivalent document(s) that supports your claim for eligibility as a status candidate, AND time-in-grade; failure to provide this document may result in your application being considered outside of the area of consideration or failure to meet time-in-grade. To properly verify status eligibility, your SF-50 must show series, grade, and position type occupied.
- Displaced Federal employees: ICTAP/CTAP documentation.
- Veterans: veteran eligibility documentation (DD-214, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency to receive Veterans Preference under the VOW (Veterans Opportunity to Work) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011.
- Persons with Disabilities: Individuals with intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities may apply for appointment through the Schedule A hiring authority. Certified verification of a disability from a licensed medical professional; a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist; or any Federal, state, or District of Columbia agency or U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits will be required.
- College transcripts(or listing of course information) that show hours and grades.
All supplemental material must be received by the closing date. Failure to provide requested documents may result in lost consideration.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Applications for this announcement must be received online before 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of the announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish. Requests for the extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference. Steps to submit a complete application:
- You must have a USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a completed resume. (Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded resumes and require that you have a completed resume within your USAJOBS profile using the Resume Builder).
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials ready, click the 'Apply Now' button.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation, which may include (but is not limited to) SF 50, transcripts, portfolio samples, certifications, and verification of veteran status.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received.
If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly. NEED HELP?
- If you experience any difficulties with the application process (anything after you have clicked the Apply Now button), please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement between normal business hours.
- If you are having trouble with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account profile issues, or Resume Builder help, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or e-mail USAJOBS3.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement during normal business hours.
Agency contact information
AddressDepartment of Energy
Office of the Inspector General
1000 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, District of Columbia 20585
Once the announcement closes, we will evaluate your qualifications and determine your ranking. The best-qualified, or highest ranked, candidates will be referred to the selecting official for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified of your application status via e-mail. *You may also check the status of your application by accessing the USAJOBS online application system at http://www.usajobs.gov and enter your USAJOBS user ID and Password. Then click on "Track Your Online Job Application."*
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/522276000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.