This position is an Open Title 5 Excepted Service Non-Uniformed Personnel position, open to the Public and to Veterans following the Minnesota National Guard Merit Placement plan.Learn more about this agency
LOCATION: JFHQ, Air National Guard, NGMN-AN, Veterans Service Building, Saint Paul, MN
SELECTING OFFICIAL: Brig Gen Sandy Best, (651) 268-8928
A Human Resources Specialist, GS-0201-09, Performs routine personnel management functions in assigned areas. Responds to requests for information. Performs limited research and analysis of applicable laws, regulations, policy, etc. and prepares summaries and recommendations for action. As assigned, performs designated segments of more complex personnel assignments of higher-graded specialists. Advises management, employees, and/or the public on personnel related matters. Performs other duties as assigned.
Conditions of Employment
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- Prior to appointment, an applicant must have a current completed/clear drug test
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory
- This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position.
- Ability to establish effective professional working relationships with coworkers and customers, contributing to a cooperative working environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
- The duties and responsibilities of your job may significantly impact the environment. You are responsible to maintain awareness of your environmental
**Upon selection, individuals will undergo a background check to validate suitability for employment with the federal government as permitted by law, regulation, Presidential order or other authority. Suitability is dependent upon the particular requirements for security clearance, sensitivity level, and DOD IT network access. Items checked include, but are not limited to all criminal history record information, employment history, education and fiscal accountability/responsibility.**
The duties and responsibilities of your job may significantly impact the environment. You are responsible to maintain awareness of your environmental responsibilities as dictated by legal and regulatory requirements, your organization, and its changing mission.
May occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours; overtime may be required.
QualificationsIn order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application.
Experiences gained through civilian and/or military technical training schools within the human resources business programs are included as general experience qualifications. An applicant must have a validated understanding of the basic seven principles and concepts of the 0201 occupational series. these are: Skilled in collecting and analyzing data effectively, efficiently, and accurately; - Ability to clearly enunciate English without impediment of speech that would interfere or prohibit efficient communication; - Ability to write English in reports and presentation formats; - Ability to communicate clearly and effectively; - Skilled in presenting formal training presentations and briefings; - Ability to assess body language and perceive emotional and/or distress levels; and, - Skilled in applying procedures and directives by reading and interpreting program material.
Experiences that prepared the applicant to perform the duties of the position. The applicant's accredited educational-degree study program; or other military or civilian academic courses may substitute for some specialized experience. An applicant must demonstrate the following specialized experience competencies (skills, knowledge, abilities and behaviors) to qualify for a position identified by its applicable position grade and career level. For the GS09 level, applicant must have at least six months of experience with human resources programs related to federal civilian or military personnel programs. This includes but is not limited to: Must have at least six months of experience with human resources programs related to federal civilian or military personnel programs. Must have experiences in executing personnel programs and Human Resources Information Systems, as applicable to the specific position and its position description. Must have knowledge and understanding of the personnel and manpower core competencies: Organization Structure; Requirements Determination; Program Allocation and Control; and, Performance Improvement. Have a working knowledge of organizational structures; manpower standards; manpower resources; manpower data systems; or, commercial services to include strategic sourcing. Experienced in performing personnel program requirements that involve advising supervisors and managers; and, experienced in completing accession planning and processing. Competent in merit principles, personnel plans, programs, and policies to guide or advise others on their implementation activities. Skilled in applying program policies, directives, publications, and training manuals. Knowledgeable on allocating manpower resource budgets. Experienced in performance management and productivity programs; or, advising on process improvement, best practices, and performance techniques.
EDUCATION: A high school diploma or general education development (GED) diploma is required. An undergraduate degree from an accredited college/university is desired. A graduate degree from an accredited civilian academic college or from an equivalent professional military education school is optimum.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: T5910700
REMARKS: No PCS Available. This position will not be filled until current incumbent vacates.
AIR OR ARMY FUNDED: AIR
To view ALL MN National Guard Vacancies, go to: http://www.minnesotanationalguard.org/careers/minnesota.php
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
The Minnesota Department of Military Affairs is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for the position without discrimination for any non-merit reason(s) such as age, race, religion, gender, ethnic origin or non-disqualifying disability. Pre-selection is not only counter-productive to effective recruitment and placement, but also violates Minnesota National Guard Merit Placement principles and will not be tolerated. If you have information or questions regarding this issue, please contact the Equal Employment Manager at 651-282-4472 or 651-282-4078.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of appropriate education, experience, training, self-development activities, and special awards. Candidates are considered on the basis of available information on their current application and supporting information that has been provided to this office. To ensure full consideration, applicants are urged to submit information about their training, self-development, outside experience, activities and awards. National Guard military (Part-time) service is considered as full-time experience when evaluated against the qualification requirements for a technician position.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of the following areas of consideration (AOC) based on the Minnesota National Guard Merit Placement Plan:
- Area 1: Current On-board Title 5 Employees (Tenure: 1-Career, 2-Conditional, 3-Indefinite or 4-Term ) - Only those current Minnesota National Guard employees who are in permanent, indefinite, or term technician status as result of being competitively hired by the Minnesota National Guard or Office of Personnel Management agency.
- Area 2: Current On-board Excepted Title 32 Technicians (Tenure: 1-Career, 2-Conditional, 3-Indefinite) - Only those Minnesota National Guard employees who are in permanent technician status as result of being competitively hired within the Minnesota National Guard agency.
- Area 3: Current On-board Federal Employees (Tenure: 1-Career, 2-Conditional, 3-Indefinite?) from another Federal Agency nationwide who are in permanent technician status as result of being competitively hired within that agency. I.e. Title 5 employed outside of the MNNG, Title 5 USAFR.
- Area 4: All federal re-employable eligible employees. (used as a way to attract federal experience without considering all U.S. Citizens - can reach retirees)
- Area 5: U.S. Citizens (to include current ARNG and ANG members.)
Compensation Management, HR Information Systems Application, and Performance Management
- Compensation Management
- HR Information Systems Application
- Performance Management
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you MUST submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your resume of employment and duties performed.
- Transcripts - if qualifying based on education or the position has an educational requirement (can be a copy)
- If claiming veterans' status, you must provide a copy of your DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or other acceptable documentation..
- If claiming Veterans' Preference for disability - a copy of your DD Form 214, which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference and/or 30% Disabled Veteran, you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of purple heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference) If supporting documentation is not submitted to support your claim, it WILL result in losing your veteran's preference for this announcement.
- Current Federal employees or reemployment eligibles: a SF-50 that shows your current Position, Grade, Step, and Tenure
Job Information: Vacancy Identification Number (19-202), title (Human Resources Specialist) and grade(GS-09) for which you are applying.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To view the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10397811
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
600 CEDAR STREET
SAINT PAUL, MN 55101
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
CONTACTING US: After you have read all the instructions in this vacancy announcement, if you still have questions about this position or the application process, you may contact us at (651) 282-4155.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/521440900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.