Come work for the USPTO, we have been ranked as one of the Best Places to Work in the Federal Government®! The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has been serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. We are responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks. The USPTO is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, and has over 12,000 employees. For more information about the USPTO, please visit the USPTO Careers Website.Learn more about this agency
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) is the principal advisor to the Under Secretary and Director on the application of information technology (IT) to support and improve the Agency’s business processes. The Office of Infrastructure Engineering and Operations (IEO) provides day-to-day operational support for the USPTO automated information systems. The Infrastructure Services Division (ISD) provides Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) for the Servers, Storage, Networks and Facilities within the USPTO. The Server and Storage Services Branch (SSSB) provides technical services for all server and storage devices in all Data Centers. The OS Operations Section (OSOS) provides administration and management for the over 8000 instances of Operating Systems, including HP-UX, ESX, Red Hat Linux, Windows and IBM AIX.
This position serves as an IT Specialist and Operating System/System Administrator in the OSOS. The individual selected for this position will be required to perform the following:
- Developing and analyzing operating systems, software and/or hardware problems and providing solutions.
- Solving a wide range of operational and support problems to meet customer requirements.
- Installing, configuring, troubleshooting, and maintaining servers and supporting software/utility configurations (hardware and software) to ensure their confidentiality, integrity, and availability.
- Managing accounts, firewalls, and patches. Provides access control, passwords, and account creation and administration.
- Developing solutions to issues related to Linux server-based operating systems and supporting hardware/software/utilities such as: RHEV Manager, Puppet, Red Hat IDM, Cisco UCS, Red Hat Satellite, Red Hat Cloudforms and Foreman.
- Planning and conducting analyses of projected work, processes and operational practices that affect operating systems in order to implement new capabilities, achieve compliancy or resolve unusual problems.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/521069300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.