If you would like to be a part of a Federal organization dedicated to serving our Nation and those who defend it, consider a career with the Department of Defense Office of Inspector General (DoD OIG). The agency promotes integrity, accountability and improvement of critical DoD programs and operations to support mission accomplishment and to serve the public interest. The DoD offers the full range of Federal benefits and a flexible work schedule, depending on position requirements.Learn more about this agency
- Research and apply mathematical, statistical, and text analyses using software and in coordination with other analysts, through the use of CRISP-DM (cross-industry standard process for data mining)/Agile methods.
- Communicate analytical methods and results to teammates and prepare technical documentation.
- Assist project teams by translating requirements into useful mathematical, statistical, or text analyses that contribute value to the organization?s mission.
- Assist with preparation of proposals by outlining the hypothesis, requirements, and potential impact of conducting the analysis.
- Provide data preparation for statistical analysis.
- Effectively work in teams to complete analytical projects.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Suitable for Federal Employment
- Registered for Selective Service (if applicable)
- This national security position, which may require access to classified information, requires a favorable suitability review and security clearance as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain security eligibility may result in termination.
- This is a drug screen position.
QualificationsBasic Requirement: Degree that included 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics, of which at least 12 semester hours were in mathematics and 6 semester hours were in statistics.
Combination of education and experience -- at least 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics, including at least 12 hours in mathematics and 6 hours in statistics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement, qualified applicants must possess:
GS-07: One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-05) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
Specialized experience is defined as: applying mathematical, statistical, or text analysis using software packages.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: One full year of graduate level education or superior academic achievement (SAA) may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
Superior Academic Achievement (S.A.A.) is based on (1) class standing, (2) grade-point average, or (3) honor society membership. Bachelors degree required or a senior in college can apply with certain considerations (please use link to OPM to determine if you qualify)
(1) Class standing - Applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses.
(2) Grade Point Average (GPA) - 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum.
(3) Election to membership in specific National Scholastic Honor Societies.Additional information on S.A.A. and/or which Honor Societies are recognized click on the link to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Classification & Qualifications Standards: Superior Academic Achievement.
GS-09: One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-07) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
Specialized experience is defined as: applying mathematical, statistical, or text analysis using software packages and communicating analysis results.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: A Master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B. or J.D. may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
GS-11: One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-09) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
Specialized experience is defined as: applying mathematical, statistical, or text analysis using software packages, communicating analysis results, and using those results to contribute to an organization's mission.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: A Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M. may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
GS-12: One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-11) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
Specialized experience is defined as: applying mathematical, statistical, or text analysis using software packages, communicating analysis results, and translating requirements into useful mathematical, statistical, or text analysis.
Education is not substitutable for experience at the GS-12 level.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Competitive wages, flexible schedules and one of the most comprehensive benefits packages found in either government or private sector. These extraordinary benefits encompass health, pay, work/life balance, growth & learning.
- Moving expenses will not be paid.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- Telework availability will be based upon the mission requirements and supervisory determination.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 90 days of the closing date.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or be exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov)
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives.)
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Priority Consideration: If you are a displaced Federal Civil Service employee and attain a rating of at least 90, you may be entitled to receive special priority selection under the ICTAP. For more information on ICTAP, click here ICTAP Guidance. NOTE: If you have never worked for the Federal Government, you are NOT ICTAP eligible.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IMPORTANT NOTE - YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. ERRORS OR OMISSIONS MAY AFFECT YOUR RATING.
Your application will be evaluated and rated under the Category Rating and Selection Procedures. We will review your resume and supporting documentation and compare this information to your responses on the occupational questionnaire to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for this job. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Eligible candidates will then be placed for selection consideration into 3 categories as described below:
The Assessment Questionnaire takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
- Qualified Category: Meets the minimum qualifications and demonstrates minimum experience and/or training only based on responses to occupational questionnaire.
- Highly Qualified Category: Meets the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates full-performance level experience based on responses to occupational questionnaire.
- Best Qualified Category: Meets the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates experience as an expert in the field or recognized as a senior specialist, team lead, etc.
- Data Analysis
- Data Management
- Data Mining
- Data Visualization
- Technology Application
You can preview the Assessment Questionnaire here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10387439
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Resume: you are encouraged to choose only ONE method of submitting your resume. (HR will review the resume that the system date stamps as the latest one received and this may not be the resume which best reflects your qualifications for the job and may result in an ineligible rating.) You may submit your resume by: attaching in your USAJOBS account; uploading in your Application Manager account; OR faxing.
- Complete Assessment Questionnaire
- Other Supporting Documents
- Transcripts and/or Certifications: All applicants to include current agency employees/contractors must submit documentation if you are substituting education for experience. Many applicants must also submit documentation for proof of meeting the basic education requirement. For additional information on acceptable documents, click here Transcripts and Certifications. You must also document your education and/or certifications in your resume. To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Veterans Preference: If you are claiming veteran's preference, you MUST submit the appropriate documentation. Failure to do so WILL result in the loss of veteran's preference, and will possibly impact your placement on the certificate. For more veterans' information please click here.
- 10-Point Veterans' Preference: You MUST submit a signed SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof as required by the SF-15. Click here for a copy of the SF-15.
5-Point Veterans' Preference: You MUST submit a copy of your DD-214 which includes Character of Service (usually Member-4 copy). If you are currently active duty, you may submit written documentation (certification) from your branch of service certifying that you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions no later than 120 days after the date the certification is signed. The certification should also include when your terminal leave will begin, your rank and dates of active duty service.
- ICTAP Eligibles: A copy of the RIF separation notice and SF-50 if available.
- Cover Letter: You may submit a cover letter which will be forwarded to the selecting official with your resume. Your cover letter will not be used to verify your qualifications or determine eligibility for preference.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
Click 'Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
- Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents.
- Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application.
- Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Application Status, then More Information for this position. Return to an incomplete application by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
HR Customer Care Center
4800 Mark Center Drive
Alexandria, VA 22350
The occupational questionnaire and the resume that you submit will be used to assess your qualifications for the job, and to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
Application of Veterans Preference: The Category Rating Method does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three," but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligible's who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Qualified) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied.
All information included in the resume and Occupational Questionnaire is subject to review and verification. HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be further evaluated by information provided in the Occupational Questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have misrepresented your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position and, if you're already an employee, you may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including removal from Federal service.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/520738000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.