The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) manages the exploration and development of the nation's offshore resources. It seeks to appropriately balance economic development, energy independence, and environmental protection through oil and gas leases, renewable energy development and environmental reviews and studies. For information about our bureau go to: http://www.boem.gov/Learn more about this agency
This position is located within the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM), Office of the Director, BOEM Chief of Staff, Washington, DC. Position may be filled in Washington, DC or Sterling, VA.
The incumbent works as a Government Information Specialist and a member of the Headquarters FOIA team. The incumbent assists the director of the BOEM Headquarters (HQ) FOIA Office in administering this program. This responsibility includes ensuring the proper maintenance and safeguarding with applicable laws and established policies and procedures; following Bureau guidelines, procedures, and standards for these programs; and maintaining and providing data for Bureau reports to the Department FOIA Officer and the Department FOIA/PA Appeals Officer, as required.
At the full performance level (GS-12) the major duties of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ensures compliance with applicable laws and the Department’s policies and procedures implementing the FOIA
- Analyzes complex FOIA requests to determine if they are in compliance with Department regulations
- Reviews responsive records to determine whether any of the FOIA exemptions apply
- Prepares comprehensive responses to FOIA requests including response letters and related correspondence
- Communicates, coordinates and collaborates with the FOIA requester community regarding the status/processing of their requests
- Maintain the administrative case file established for each FOIA request
- Identifies and protects sensitive information, including privacy-protected information
- Determines the appropriate response for each request
Relocation Incentives may be authorized at the discretion of management.
BOEM has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
Salary Range Information: First time hires to the federal government typically start at the beginning salary in the range for their respective grade level.
GS-09: $56,233 - $73,105
This vacancy may be used to fill additional positions as vacancies become available.
Occasional travel - may be required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/518971900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.