Come work for the USPTO, we have been ranked as one of the Best Places to Work in the Federal Government®! The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has been serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. We are responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks. For more information about the USPTO, please visit the USPTO Careers Website.Learn more about this agency
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) is the principal advisor to the Under Secretary and Director. The Office of Organizational Policy and Governance (OPG) provides the management and oversight of enterprise Information Technology (IT) strategies, guidance, policies, and agency-wide cybersecurity. This position is location in the Software Quality Assurance Division (SQAD) that is responsible for monitoring and executing software development testing standards for OCIO’s coding for establishing a software development life cycle. The Systems Performance Branch (SPB) analyzes PTOnet network performance to ensure that performance objectives are being met and recommends changes to systems and PTOnet to optimize resource utilization; and compiles capacity and performance statistics for executive level reporting. This position serves as a senior Systems Performance Engineer on the staff of the Systems Performance Branch.
This position serves as a senior Systems Performance Engineer. The individual selected for this position will be responsible for:
- Initiating, planning and conducting computer operations research and exploratory development in the fields of computer science with emphasis on capacity planning, performance analysis, application performance analysis, and the study of new opportunities in analyzing machine data.
- Identifying research and development problems to be investigated.
- Establishing a system to capture and store computer operating system metrics, application metrics, storage metrics and network metrics.
- Serving as a subject matter expert on improving infrastructure by producing “what if” models that optimize performance prior to purchase of hardware.
- Advising Government agencies, academia and industry on a variety of system assurance and computer science problems.
- Representing OCIO/OPG/SQAD/SPB at meetings, conferences and symposia and speaking on the feasibility and application of state-of-the-art systems performance techniques.
- Planning guiding and monitoring research and development contracts.
- Providing critical, technical, and project leader support to platform services, database services and software services in capacity planning and performance designs
- Providing advice on the evaluation of design proposals and capabilities.
- Assessing infrastructure, engineering, operations research, and application development efforts.
- Modifying, realigning or redirecting such efforts to assure fulfillment of requirements and attainment of objectives.
- Furnishing advice and explanations on the significance of scientific data, experiments and achievements resulting from technical investigations.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/518525500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.