WHAT IS THE WAGE & INVESTMENT DIVISION: The Wage & Investment Division (W&I) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. Key W&I objectives are to provide high-quality taxpayer assistance, and to enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns, make payments and receive assistance. W&I partners with private organizations to provide assistance to such disadvantaged groups as elderly and low income taxpayers.Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A CLERK DO? Clerks work in various functional areas within the IRS, therefore your specific duties may vary according to assignments. As a Clerk you will perform various clerical duties such as maintaining records, extracting, sorting, numbering, batching, filing tax returns and related correspondence; receive, open, sort and distribute both incoming and outgoing mail; and screen documents, forms, and letters addressed or routed to various offices.
As a FILE CLERK you will:
- Use computer to complete files research, pull, and re-file transactions. Scans paper files into electronic form, saves documents electronically, and sends electronic files to requestor if necessary.
- Perform various clerical duties such as maintaining records, extracting, sorting, numbering, batching, and filing tax returns and related correspondence.
- Receive, open, sort and distribute both incoming and outgoing mail.
- Screen documents, forms, and letters addressed or routed to various offices.
- Review and process outgoing mail. Maintain appropriate records and/or logs for tracking and reconciliation purposes.
- Conduct searches and other follow up action on delayed shipments.
- Examine file materials to identify primary subject matter and assign proper classification.
- Locate and withdraw file material or information from records to meet the needs of users.
- Periodically review filed material in the light of ongoing programs or special projects.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/518403100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.