Explore a new career with the BLM - where our people are our greatest natural resource. For additional information about the BLM, please visit our website.
This is an open continuous announcement, in which applications are collected over several months, and have multiple cut-off dates up until the closing date of the announcement. A certificate will only be issued upon the location request, once they have a need to fill position(s). Cut off dates are located in the How to Apply section.Learn more about this agency
- Serves as a lead wildland firefighter operating a wildland fire engine, performing wildland firefighting work and leading crews performing such work, i.e., wildland fire suppression and control activities including preparedness, prevention, monitoring, hazardous fuels reduction, and prescribed burning.
- Drives and operates a wildland fire engine, positioning the engine for proper use and operation.
- Ensures the engine is kept in a full state of readiness for emergency fire dispatch.
- Has specialized duties such as water handling specialist, fully qualified chainsaw operator, and/or responsible for maintenance of specialized equipment used to respond to wildland urban interface/intermix situations.
- Instructs crew members in specific tasks and techniques, conducts on-the-job training, distributes and controls work assignments and ensures timely accomplishment of assigned tasks, maintains work records, reports on work accomplishments, ensures the work is carried out safely, and reports on performance problems and issues.
- Supervises crew in absence of supervisor.
NOTE: This announcement is being advertised concurrently under FA Merit-2019-0008, for current federal employees serving under a competitive service career or career-conditional appointment or reinstatement eligible. You must apply to each announcement separately if you wish to be considered under both recruitment methods.
50% or less - Frequent travel will be required during peak fire activity.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/517699100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.