In this position, you will serve as an Archives Technician in the Records Retrieval Branch of the National Personnel Records Center's Military Personnel Records facility. You will perform numerous activities involved in the search, refile, and maintenance of personnel and related records.Learn more about this agency
Tour of Duty: Management has flexibility with schedules. New-hire schedules will be 9:30am - 6:00pm and will remain on that schedule for at least six months.
As an Archives Technician, GS-1421-04, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Using automated production systems, inputs data and prepares system queries of various types of pending search requests to create logical batches of search requests, taking into consideration the complexity of the requests, the priority of the requests, the Center's queue discipline, and the location of responsive records.
- Searches and retrieves from holdings responsive records needed to support the order fulfillment process. Includes searching temporary and permanent records series, including accessioned (archival) records and fire-damaged records. May involve records that are: indexed in a registry system, self-indexed using a variety of alpha-numeric arrangement patterns, or organizational records requiring the use of finding aids.
- Examines record contents to determine the veteran's date of release from service obligation, and determines legal custodian of record (archival or not) based on this examination.
- Performs trouble-shooting activities to locate the responsive record in instances where the initial search attempt failed to produce the responsive record.
- Updates the production system (usually by wanding bar codes on search requests or records) to reflect current status in order fulfillment cycle.
- Analyzes late-flowing or previously-misfiled documents to determine the proper folder into which they should be filed.
- Sorts, batches and returns original records to proper location in storage at conclusion of order fulfillment cycle (refiles).
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/517168500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.