WHAT IS THE IRS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DIVISION?
The mission of IRS Information Technology is to provide leadership in the delivery of information technology solutions that anticipate and meet enterprise-wide needs by empowering employees to deliver customer-centered, value-creating systems, products, services, and support.
See Other Information for LocationsLearn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST (SA/AS) DO?
An Information Technology Specialist (System Analysis/Applications Software) uses a wide variety of information, knowledge, and tools to address complex system analysis and applications software assignments each day. In this specific position, as a COBOL Applications Developer, you will be involved in conducting systems analysis to design, document, develop, modify, test, install, implement, and support new or existing applications software products within the IRS. Many of your assignments will be broad (possibly national) in scope, and/or involve difficult and complex issues. You will also be responsible for the development of components of national projects and may be called upon to lead significant projects assigned to your unit. This work will involve planning, developing, scheduling, and testing of COBOL software applications in support of IRS modernization and production systems using established standards and system lifecycles.
As an Information Technology Specialist (SA/AS) you will:
- Draft project plans for a multifunctional development project in software analysis, design, development and implementation;
- Identify resource requirements and assigning tasks to project members; reporting progress; ensuring customer and management involvement throughout the software development process;
- Resolve critical issues affecting the configuration of the IT infrastructure and coordinate the demonstration of new and enhanced applications to customers and management.
- Identify and correct weaknesses in critical performance parameters, and variances in achieving cost, schedule, and performance goals;
- Investigate, evaluate and select tools and methods for improving productivity and software quality throughout the life cycle;
- Assess the feasibility of adopting new systems analysis techniques or software design technologies within the current systems environment; and
- Developing best practices guides for use by other systems analysis or applications software specialists
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - Travel 1-5 nights per month may be required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/516427900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.