The Office of the Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program (SIGTARP) was established under the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008. The mission of SIGTARP is to protect Americans by operating as a law enforcement office and an audit watchdog over the TARP programs. We are looking for people to join our team as we work to protect Americans from fraud, waste, and abuse in TARP.Learn more about this agency
As the General Counsel to the Special Inspector General (SIG) for the Troubled Asset Relief Program, you will:
- Serve as a principal legal advisor to the SIG.
- Provide expert legal advice to the SIG and other senior SIGTARP officials on legal issues that arise in the exercise of responsibilities as an OIG, including issues related to IG independence and IG access, the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008, the SIGTARP Act, and certain other statutory responsibilities in the Inspector General Act of 1978, the IG Reform Act, the IG Empowerment Act of 2015, and any other authorizing legislation.
- Ensure a successful legal program that supports SIGTARP’s investigations and audits, including analyzing complex and novel legal issues and allegations, and providing clear and thorough written analyses.
- Ensure a successful legal program that supports SIGTARP’s administrative and operational matters. Provide expert legal advice to the SIG and other SIGTARP officials on legal issues related to SIGTARP’s administrative and operational matters, including SIGTARP’s wind down, internal policies, contracts, FOIA, privacy, System or Records Notice (SORN), personnel, appropriations, ethics, and disclosure of official information.
- Independently plan and carry out necessary legal research, and personally prepare or direct the preparation of written memoranda, advisory opinions, and other legal documents on behalf of SIGTARP, and exercise independent judgment in recognizing legal issues and determining the scope and approach to assigned tasks.
- Formulate budget requirements to accomplish activities of the General Counsel’s office and manage the human, financial, and information technology resources provided to the General Counsel's office.
Occasional travel - May be required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/515922600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.