The subject position is located in the Office of Transportation Operations (HOTO), Office of Operations, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), Washington, D.C. The employee serves as a member of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) Team where he/she is responsible for initiating, developing, issuing, interpreting and managing regulations, standards, policies and guidelines for traffic control devices as well as their application on all roads open to public travel.Learn more about this agency
As a Transportation Specialist (MUTCD), you will:
- Provide authoritative technical advice, assistance and leadership to FHWA personnel and FHWA's external partners in the area of traffic control devices and their applications, the evaluation of projects and design concepts, highway safety improvement programs, interpretation of federal laws and regulations related to the safety and operations program, capacity analyses, railroad-highway crossings, safety and operation countermeasures to problems, performance management systems, safe accommodation of pedestrians and bicyclists, and sign, signal and marking issues (MUTCD).
- Provide technical advice and assistance on traffic control devices and related standards, maintains a current knowledge and reference on approved products, technologies and practices and brings this knowledge to FHWA and its partners through training and technical assistance activities.
- Launch initiatives to evaluate the performance of traffic control devices and supports process, program and project reviews to enhance the overall transportation program. In all of these areas, provides authoritative interpretations of extremely complex data, policy, legislation and regulations, procedures, requirements, technological advancements and/or approaches as well as lending assistance in the most complex/unusual and/or unique issues/situations and/or problems which develop and which have been resistant to resolution through normal approaches.
- Foster new partnerships, marketing approaches, and partner interaction and supports and provides responses on inquiries regarding the MUTCD orally and in writing.
- Provide extensive coordination, liaison, negotiation, and consultation for highway safety and traffic operations to officials within a broad range of governmental agencies at the local, State, regional and national levels; officials of non-profit organizations, professional associations, and public interest groups; representatives of educational institutions, private industry, etc., and the general public.
The ideal candidate is a mid-career professional with experience related to the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and/or traffic engineering programs.
25% or less - Position requires 25% travel or less.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/515828500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.