The Office of Marine Safety, MS-10 manages marine accident investigations, develops proposed probable cause(s) of accidents, formulates recommendations to minimize recurrence of similar accidents, prepares detailed reports for use by other international and domestic government agencies, Congress, the transportation community, and the traveling public, and improves public safety by advocating changes to international and domestic marine transportation regulations, requirements, and policies.Learn more about this agency
WHO MAY APPLY: Before applying, please read the entire announcement and follow all instructions in the How to Apply section. This vacancy is also being announced under MS-10319959-19-SS as open Current & Former Federal Employees and VEOA Eligibles. Please review both to determine eligibility.
The incumbent will serve as a Marine Accident Investigator in the Office of Marine Safety (OMS) providing experience and expertise in marine accident investigations, marine operations, and marine safety. This includes organizing and managing the investigation of major marine accidents, the on-scene fact-finding of the investigations, and all related group activities in order to develop all the pertinent facts, conditions and circumstances surrounding the accident.
At the GS-13, in addition to the duties at the lower level, typical duties may include:
- Organizing, managing and coordinating the investigation of marine accidents.
- Developing and presenting reports with marine transportation safety recommendations for adoption by the Board.
- Serving as a Group Chairperson or the Investigator in Charge (IIC) in marine accident investigations.
- Serving as the NTSB representative in public/non-public accident investigations or other marine accident investigations of interest to the NTSB, and as the NTSB representative in international investigations conducted under IMO rules.
- Conducting analysis and assessments of pertinent issues and developing safety recommendations.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/513828600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.