BLM is seeking a dynamic and energetic individual to join the team serving as a Park Ranger (Interpretation), for the Billings Field Office, Pompey’s Pillar National Monument. Position is located in Pompey’s Pillar, MT about 25 miles east of Billings, MT. Information about the Billings area can be found at https://www.billingschamber.com/ Outside Magazine's Annual Best Town Contest Featured Billings as the Best Town of 2016.Learn more about this agency
This position is also being advertised under vacancy announcement MT Merit-2018-0198. Only one person will be selected from these announcements.
The incumbent is responsible for performing a variety of duties including, but not limited to, the following:
- Developing interpretive programs, conducting independent research of topics using sources such as records, books, files, and, where appropriate, interviewing people who have personal knowledge of a particular site or event.
- Meeting with visitors to provide information concerning points of interest, travel routes, historical and natural features, site use opportunities and limitations, and park activities.
- Presenting a variety of formal and interpretive programs to include but not limited to, orientation talks, environmental education programs, conducted walks, and demonstrations.
- Recruits and trains candidates for volunteer programs, develops work projects, and coordinates activities with other park personnel.
- Prepares recreation areas/sites for visitor use, to include planning, operation, and required maintenance.
- Maintains interpretive materials and educational displays, and staff information desks.
- Performs various administrative duties, e.g., scheduling, gathering routine information for reports, compilation of statistical data, etc.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: Most work will be performed out of doors, in all types of weather conditions, terrain, and elevations. Indoor duties are performed in a normal office setting.
This is a developmental position with a GS-07 full performance level. Selection at a lower grade level will allow the incumbent to perform the duties of the position with a reduced level of responsibility and/or difficulty while receiving on-the-job, trainee assignments or other appropriate training.
Occasional travel - At times, travel for meetings and/or training may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/512191000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.