This position is located at the Africa Center for Strategic Studies (ACSS), Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA), and Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD). The mission of the Africa Center is to advance African security by expanding understanding, providing a trusted platform for dialogue, building enduring partnerships, and catalyzing strategic solutions.Learn more about this agency
Working with the Research and Strategic Communications team, the Academic Analyst will write compelling, accessible, timely, and analytically-cogent articles for the Africa Center's external stakeholders. These stakeholders include policymakers, security sector professionals, scholars, practitioners, media, and civil society actors. This role requires assessing strategic trends and events shaping African security, critical analysis, and framing these issues in ways that are meaningful for our audiences. In this way, the Academic Analyst plays a central role in the educational mission of the center. S/he must be well-versed in Africa Center research products, the broader Africa security literature, and daily media coverage of Africa security topics.
1. Distill topical issues pertaining to African security into compelling and analytically reasoned narratives for publications on the Internet for the Africa Center's diverse audiences.
2. Conceptualize, research, write, and edit articles that align with the Center's priorities and messages.
3. Perform literature and primary source research. Assist the Strategic Communications team with producing and editing material for dissemination to worldwide audiences via the Internet, news media, and senior leaders.
4. Establish and maintain a network of high-level contacts and sources, particularly in Africa, from which to inform and enhance the credibility of these analyses and reporting and to assist with preparing for scheduled strategic communications events, Congressional testimony, news conferences, and other high-visibility engagements.
5. Conduct phone and video interviews of subject matter experts and policymakers to distill insights of value for the Africa Center's stakeholders. The incumbent maintains strong working relationships with a range of subject matter experts.
6. Contribute to the analysis of performance metrics and apply those insights to develop ideas for future articles.
7. Maintain currency on events, trends, and developments in the African security sector.
8. The incumbent analyzes the perceptions and attitudes of pertinent audiences and other stakeholders relevant to the Africa Center mission. Identifies key audiences' preferred sources of information and conducts audience analysis in preparation for engagements. Conducts research, analysis, and evaluation of proposed engagements to identify appropriate objectives, messages, and material and strategic communications.
Occasional travel - 15% or less
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/510961600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.