This is the position of Supervisory Librarian of the Harvard- Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA). The incumbent reports to the Director of the CfA. The Supervisory Librarian provides strategic leadership and oversees day-to-day management of the John G. Wolbach Library.Learn more about this agency
The Supervisory Librarian assists in the formulation of policies, program goals, budgets and financial operations, and objectives that include the development of short and long-range plans to accomplish the library department’s goals. The incumbent is responsible for a broad range of library services, including administration, collection development, collection management, information systems, reference services, interlibrary loans, document delivery, digital curation, preservation of digital objects, and the management of the library’s physical space.
- Compose policies, program goals, budgets and financial procedures, and objectives on an as-needed basis.
- Create short and long-range plans to accomplish the library department’s goals on a quarterly basis.
- Oversee all section activities including administration, collection development (acquisitions and cataloging), collection management (circulation, binding, de-accession, preservation, conservation, digitization, and security), information systems, reference services, interlibrary loans, document delivery, digital curation, preservation of digital objects (research software, datasets), and the management of the library’s physical space.
- Work together with vendors, publishers, societies, archives, government agencies and other institutions worldwide.
- Plan, coordinate and supervise the department’s work: copy cataloging in all subjects, languages and physical formats; receiving and processing materials and records through vendor-supplied services; project management involving collaboration with contract and collections staff; and maintenance of the Libraries’ Collection records in SIRIS.
- Lead and train staff to resolve complex copy cataloging and post-cataloging data problems. Troubleshoots and resolves data integrity issues and errors.
- Manage the supply and use of vendor-supplied bibliographic records, including working with vendors to provide catalog records that meet national and international standards. Develop and implement changes and improvements to cross-departmental workflow.
- Supervise approximately 5 employees both exempt and non-exempt professional and support staff, including both Harvard College Observatory (HCO) and Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO) employees. Assign projects and tasks; prepare performance plans and perform performance appraisals; approve work schedules, leave, and overtime; resolve conflicts and take disciplinary action when required; nominate staff for awards to reward exceptional performance; give advice, counsel, or instruction to staff on both technical and administrative matters; determine training needs and arrange training as appropriate; and interview and hire new staff when vacancies occur.
- Communicate and present library goals, objectives, plans, and the status of individual projects to CfA administrators, university administrators, and all relevant library stakeholders.
- Participate in institutional committees and working groups (e.g. Harvard Library Stewardship Standing Committee, Science Libraries Council, CfA Scientific Computation Advisory Committee) and participates in institution-wide policy development regarding the stewardship of research artifacts.
- Present original research and projects at both astronomy and library-related conferences. Publish research in the scholarly literature.
- Solicit external funding to support original research and library services. Keep abreast of and responds to trends in national service models and changes in research and curricular environments.
- Develop, establish, and maintain professional relationships with librarians, curators, and facilities staff to share resources and information to coordinate workflow, project planning and policy development in the Library.
- As a consultant for CfA to provide technical recommendations on the conservation and/or preservation of Library materials.
- Fulfill other duties as assigned by the Director.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/509895900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.