There are 10 open positions. These positions are located in the Laboratory Services, Forensic Science Labs Washington/Atlanta/San Francisco within the Office of Science and Technology, in Beltsville, MD, Walnut Creek, CA and/or Atlanta, GA.
The Firearm and Toolmark Examiner serves as a senior analyst in the examination of firearm and toolmark evidence from criminal investigations of firearm violations, bombings, and arsons.Learn more about this agency
- Performing challenging firearm and toolmark examinations without technical guidance, using scientifically sound and applicable procedures.
- Examining firearms for function testing and comparative examinations, serial number restoration and gunshot residue testing for muzzle to target distance determination.
- Examining ammunition components and comparative examination of firearm test specimens and ammunition components to determine if they share a common source.
- Examining post-blast debris and non-firearm related evidence for toolmarks, properly and accurately assessing the tool individuality, using proper procedure for developing test marks and the comparison of test marks with evidence marks.
- Serving as a subject area expert in the examination and comparison of firearm and toolmark evidence and maintaining a broad-based knowledge of all areas of forensic science.
- Providing expert witness testimony based on laboratory examinations, advising prosecutors on the appropriate approach to use in presenting scientific testimony and in the preparation of questions.
- Serves as a trainer for firearm and toolmark trainees and as an advisor to peers and lower graded firearms and toolmak examiners or technicians or specialists.
Responsibilities will increase and assignments will become more complex as your training and experience progress.
Salary ranges for each of the locations are as follows:
Atlanta, GA - $91,631.00 to $119,121.00
Beltsville,MD - $96,970.00 to $126,062.00
Walnut Creek, CA -$105,335.00 to $136,936.00
Occasional travel - Up to 5 days per month
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/509644600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.