This position is located in the National Marine Fisheries Services (NMFS), Alaska Regional Office (AKR), Protected Resources Division (PRD) with one vacancy in Juneau or Anchorage, Alaska.Learn more about this agency
This position is also announced under vacancy number NMFS-AKR-2018-0020, which is open to all US Citizens or Nationals. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
* A one year probationary period may be required.
* This position is not in the bargaining unit
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. The ZP-2 is equivalent to the GS-07/09. The ZP-3 is equivalent to the GS-11/12. If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you may be non-competitively promoted if you perform successfully and if recommended by management.
Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) for Juneau and Anchorage Alaska is 3.74% and is not federally taxed. The COLA is not reflected in the locality salary shown in this vacancy announcement. COLAs are exempt from Federal income taxes; post differentials are not.
As a Marine Mammal Specialist, you will perform the following duties:
- Conduct analyses to support the conservation and recovery of marine mammals under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and Marine Mammal Protection Act.
- Conduct formal and informal consultations with federal action agencies under section 7 of the ESA and evaluate the effects of proposed actions on threatened and endangered marine mammals.
- Work independently and in teams to complete projects related to the sustainable management of marine mammals.
- Contribute to written products as assigned, such as Biological Opinions, Letters of Concurrence, Federal Register notices, decision or transmittal memoranda, and other documents or correspondence.
- Represent the agency or division in internal and external meetings on protected resources conservation and management issues.
These duties are described at the FPL ZP-3, the ZP-2 is developmental leading to such performance.
This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to fill other Marine Mammal Specialist, ZP-0401-2/3 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band and requires the same qualifications and specialized experience as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
3 - If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you may be non-competitively promoted if you perform successfully and if recommended by management.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/507809900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.