Dallas VA Medical Center is actively recruiting a Part-Time Optometrist, who has been trained in vision rehabilitation and who will oversee the clinical low vision examination and prescribe optical and/or electronic devices, or the trained eye care specialist may directly supervise allied health professionals in some aspects of the clinical low vision examination and prescription of devices.Learn more about this agency
NOTE: This announcement will remain open continuous through July 22, 2019 or until a qualified applicant is selected. Applications that are submitted will be reviewed bi-weekly for referral to the selecting official. The first date of review for this vacancy will be August 1, 2018.
The Advanced Low Vision Clinic Optometrist will assist veteran and family in adjustment to changing vision and life changes that accompany this process. Adjustment counseling such as bridge counseling, family counseling and/or supportive group counseling and discussion when required shall be offered. The low vision eye care specialist will integrate appropriate adjustment strategies into their examination and therapeutic approaches and they will support counseling if the veteran is referred to counseling professionals.
Duties of the position include but are not limited to:
- Examine adult patients in consultation as requested by other health care providers
- Perform examinations of vision, eye, and related structures to detect the presence of refractive error, vision anomalies, diseases, or other abnormalities
- Diagnose a full range of optometric visual and ocular disorders
- Conduct optometric diabetic evaluations
- Treat refractive disorders by prescribing and adapting spectacle lenses, contact lenses, or other optical aids
- Participate in co-management with Ophthalmology for specified ocular disorders
- Referral of patients to Ophthalmology when indicated for further diagnostic evaluation and additional medical or surgical treatments
- Perform administrative duties and participate in clinic management functions
- Participate in quality assurance activities
- Provide in-services to medical staff
- Others duties as assigned
Financial Discloser Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/505780900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.