When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.Learn more about this agency
The ideal candidate for this position is an individual with demonstrated experience in a range of disaster management activities - specifically including knowledge and experience at a technical level in a wide range of FEMA response, recovery, preparedness, or mitigation program activities - and a demonstrated ability to communicate technical issues in a clear and concise manner to a wide audience, including senior leadership. This position starts at a salary of $87,252 (GS-13). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Regional Offices, Region Nine, Regional Administrator team within FEMA.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
In this position, you will collaborate with, and foster relationships between, federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial governments; nongovernmental organizations; and the private sector, and their disaster management mechanisms, structures, and authorities. Typical assignments include:
- Providing technical assistance with respect to one or more of the following:
- Identifying strategic goals and priorities, implementing preparedness programs to align with FEMA policy directives, and achieving baseline levels of preparedness;
- Planning operations, building response core capabilities, Whole Community integration, incorporating resilience into long-term recovery decision-making, and FEMA' s disaster declaration process;
- Identifying and assessing risk; estimating capability requirements; building and sustaining capabilities; planning to deliver capabilities; validating capabilities; and reviewing and updating plans, capabilities, and resources to ensure they remain relevant;
- Identifying risk reduction opportunities, methods to reduce future risks, and the development and maintenance of hazard mitigation plans, procedures, and assessments;
- Implementing FEMA's recovery programs, to include the development of housing strategies, cost recovery planning, debris planning, and ensuring the appropriate implementation and rapid closeout of Public Assistance grants.
- Preparing information papers and briefings for senior officials and partners, which involves compiling, reconciling and correlating data from a variety of sources with different requirements and formats where data must be carefully cross-checked, analyzed, and interpreted to ensure accuracy.
- Coordinating FEMA messaging and scalable and tailored Subject Matter Expert support to increase efficiency and share real-time, accurate information.
25% or less - Travel up to 25% is required for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- Status Candidates
- Former Overseas Employees
- 30% or More Disabled
- Schedule A
- Military Spouses
- Peace Corps
- Interchange Agreement Eligibles
This announcement will close at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) Monday, August 6, 2018.
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/505735300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.