You will serve as a Trades Apprentice in the Department of the Navy Portsmouth Naval Shipyard located in Kittery, Maine and are covered by a formal training plan. The Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Apprentice Program includes academic, trade training, and paid work experience. The incumbent will perform a variety of duties associated with the specific trade for which hired.Learn more about this agency
- If selected for WG-2604 Electronics Mechanic - You will be involved in fabricating, overhauling, modifying, installing, troubleshooting, repairing, and maintaining ground and marine electronic equipment.
- If selected for WG-2606 Electronic Industrial Controls Mechanic - You will repair, test and calibrate electronic measuring equipment and cranes.
- If selected for WG-2805 Electrician - You will be involved in the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of electrical wiring systems, fixtures, controls, and equipment in various areas.
- If selected for WG-3105 Fabric Worker - You will be involved in making, modifying, altering, and repairing clothing and/or equipment or other items.
- If selected for WG-3414 Machinist - You will be involved in the manufacture of parts and of equipment from castings, and other raw stocks made of various metals, and other materials, and/or machining operations required in the repair of such items.
- If selected for WG-3610 Insulator - You will be involved in the fabrication and installation of insulating materials on tanks, turbines, and other structures to reduce heat loss or absorption, prevent moisture condensation, or reduce sound levels.
- If selected for WG-3703 Welder - You will cut and join all types of industrial and marine metals aboard U.S. Navy vessels and others.
- If selected for WG-3705 Nondestructive Test Inspector You will identify physical and mechanical properties or defects of a piece of material or structure without altering its end use capabilities.
- If selcted for WG-3806 Sheet Metal Mechanic - You will fabricate, modifies, repair, assemble and install sheet metal items in buildings and aboard U.S. Navy vessels.
- If selected for WG-3820 Shipfitter - You will be involved in the modification, fabrication, repair, assembly, and installation of various metal structural parts of ships and other vessels.
- If selected for WG-4102 Painter - You will prepare surfaces and apply coatings on interior and exterior surfaces, tanks and voids aboard ships and as shop applications to meet specific decorative and preservation requirements.
- If selected for WG-4204 Pipefitter - You will be involved in the installation, maintenance, and repair of high temperature water and high-pressure piping systems such as hydraulic, nitrogen, oxygen, steam heating, and steam-generating systems.
- If selected for WG-4352 Composite/ Plastic Fabricator - You will be involved in the repair, fabrication, modification, removal, and installation of composite and/or plastic items, parts, assemblies, and structures.
- If selected for WG-5210 Rigger - You will select, install, and use cables, ropes, shackles, beam clamps, strongbacks and other weight handling gear to lift, move, and position heavy loads.
- If selected for WG-5220 Shipwright - You will be involved in the dry docking of marine craft and in the maintenance of marine dry docking equipment.
- If selcted for WG-5306 Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic - You will remove, repair, overhaul, align, install, test, and adjust ship's air conditioning and refrigeration systems and components.
- If selected for WG-5334 Marine Machinery Mechanic - You will be involved in the dismantling, repairing, relocating, modifying, maintaining, aligning, and installing of a wide variety of marine machinery, equipment, and systems.
- If selected for WG-5350 Production Machinery Mechanic - You will install, repair, inspect, align, analyze, and rebuild industrial plant equipment and machinery.
- If selected for WG-5352 Industrial Equipment Mechanic - You will operate and perform emergency breakdown, planning and preventative maintenance and repairs on Pure Water systems, High Pressure Systems, sewage lift and pumping stations.
- If selected for WG-5803 Heavy Mobile Equipment Mechanic - You perform maintenance and repairs on various types of heavy-duty equipment such as floating, portal, gantry, bridge and truck cranes.
Occasional travel - This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You must be able to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/504333100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.