This position of ASYLUM OFFICER starts at a salary of $43,857 GS-09 grade level, step 01, with promotion potential to $82,680 GS-12 grade level, step 10.Learn more about this agency
THE ACTUAL SALARY MAY BE HIGHER DUE TO AN ADJUSTMENT FOR LOCALITY PAY. To view the 2018 Locality Pay Charts click here.
You may choose to be considered for ONE of the locations.
- The responsibilities described are for the full-performance level. ? At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence, and limited complexity.
- Adjudicate complex and highly sensitive immigration benefits, asylum applications, other benefit applications managed by the asylum program, including motions to reopen and reconsider, and conduct credible/reasonable fear screenings.
- Review applications and supporting evidence, conduct interviews, and research appropriate information provided by the Refugee, Asylum and International Operations Directorate, the Department of State, and other sources.
- Interpret and apply appropriate policy, regulations, statutes, and precedent decisions to make eligibility determinations.
- Produce written assessments supporting asylum, NACARA, credible fear and reasonable fear decisions.
- Establish and maintain liaison with external federal agencies and non-governmental organizations, and/or private sector stakeholders involved in asylum benefits.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/503612900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.